The Student Room Group

MEDICINE 2023 entry-waiting list

Is it common to get offers for medicine when on a waiting list or is it usually pointless to wait?

Scroll to see replies

(Moved to the medicine forum)

My understanding is that a small number of people do sometimes get offers via the waitlist, so it's definitely a possibility.
Reply 2
Are there any stats on how often this happens?
None that I know of, it's a handful each year at most.

But your alternatives are accept a fifth non-med course, or take a gap year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
None that I know of, it's a handful each year at most.

But your alternatives are accept a fifth non-med course, or take a gap year :smile:

I wanted to ask, is having your offer put on hold the same as a waiting list or are they two different things
Reply 5
Original post by k19xo
I wanted to ask, is having your offer put on hold the same as a waiting list or are they two different things

There are different definitions of "on hold". Some med schools use it before decisions have been made. But I think you are talking about post decision? Again, some med shools just put everyone on a waiting list, but this year, some have used a "hold" category for those who are very close to an offer and who they are hopeful they will be able to make an offer to, when numbers become clearer. If you are talking about this situation, these people scored more highly than those sent a waiting list response immediately, so have more chance of an offer
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
There are different definitions of "on hold". Some med schools use it before decisions have been made. But I think you are talking about post decision? Again, some med shools just put everyone on a waiting list, but this year, some have used a "hold" category for those who are very close to an offer and who they are hopeful they will be able to make an offer to, when numbers become clearer. If you are talking about this situation, these people scored more highly than those sent a waiting list response immediately, so have more chance of an offer

thank you very much for this response, it's made things a lot clearer! do you mind having a look at this email that Birmingham sent me earlier this week as I'm now wondering which category I'd come under. I've just copied and pasted part of the email I received below:

" Thank you again for attending an interview to study Medicine at the University of Birmingham. Medicine and Surgery is a popular course and as such we are only able to accept a small number of students onto our programme at the University of Birmingham for September 2023.

As such, you have not been successful in being selected for our initial round of offers, though we have put your application on hold in case we find ourselves in a position to make further offers before the final UCAS deadline in May.

Should a place become available we may be able to make you a conditional offer, the details of which will be sent to you at a later stage. Final notification of the outcome of your application will be communicated to you by mid-May, although we hope to be in contact sooner. I understand this is a potentially frustrating situation, but we want to enable as many students as possible to benefit from an offer with us. "
Reply 7
Original post by k19xo
thank you very much for this response, it's made things a lot clearer! do you mind having a look at this email that Birmingham sent me earlier this week as I'm now wondering which category I'd come under. I've just copied and pasted part of the email I received below:

" Thank you again for attending an interview to study Medicine at the University of Birmingham. Medicine and Surgery is a popular course and as such we are only able to accept a small number of students onto our programme at the University of Birmingham for September 2023.

As such, you have not been successful in being selected for our initial round of offers, though we have put your application on hold in case we find ourselves in a position to make further offers before the final UCAS deadline in May.

Should a place become available we may be able to make you a conditional offer, the details of which will be sent to you at a later stage. Final notification of the outcome of your application will be communicated to you by mid-May, although we hope to be in contact sooner. I understand this is a potentially frustrating situation, but we want to enable as many students as possible to benefit from an offer with us. "

Is there also a straight waiting list email that has been sent out to some people? If so, I would say you rank abouve those people. If not, Birmingham may simply be using this email to cover all the near-misses, and will either offer or waitlist later in the cycle.

This is a way of trying to keep people on the hook waiting for Birmingham (or wherever) rather than them just moving on somewhere else. It may result in a place, but the problem is, a lot of med schools are doing this, so people are holding off making decisions and hence nowhere can move their waiting list along anyway, so it is counter-productive, to an extent, for applicants as a whole. But for the individual who may specifically want that med school, it is sensible to leave decision making until they get an answer.
Good luck :crossedf:
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
Is there also a straight waiting list email that has been sent out to some people? If so, I would say you rank abouve those people. If not, Birmingham may simply be using this email to cover all the near-misses, and will either offer or waitlist later in the cycle.

This is a way of trying to keep people on the hook waiting for Birmingham (or wherever) rather than them just moving on somewhere else. It may result in a place, but the problem is, a lot of med schools are doing this, so people are holding off making decisions and hence nowhere can move their waiting list along anyway, so it is counter-productive, to an extent, for applicants as a whole. But for the individual who may specifically want that med school, it is sensible to leave decision making until they get an answer.
Good luck :crossedf:

- a straight waiting list I'm not sure about, however I know that straight post interview rejections were sent out a few days before the initial offers and the 'on hold' emails. They may send a waiting list after the UCAS deadline which is what I'm thinking they'll do though. I'm really hoping that they give offers to the people on hold as Birmingham was my top choice so hoping for the best:smile:. It's annoying though because it keeps us all on edge now wondering what will happen! One thing I am glad about is that they said we would be informed of the outcome by mid May or even before that so hopefully we hear something positive:smile:. Are you aware of what other unis are doing the same to their applicants, I believe ARU and HYMS are but I don't recall any others?

Also thank you!! :crossedf:
Reply 9
Original post by k19xo
- a straight waiting list I'm not sure about, however I know that straight post interview rejections were sent out a few days before the initial offers and the 'on hold' emails. They may send a waiting list after the UCAS deadline which is what I'm thinking they'll do though. I'm really hoping that they give offers to the people on hold as Birmingham was my top choice so hoping for the best:smile:. It's annoying though because it keeps us all on edge now wondering what will happen! One thing I am glad about is that they said we would be informed of the outcome by mid May or even before that so hopefully we hear something positive:smile:. Are you aware of what other unis are doing the same to their applicants, I believe ARU and HYMS are but I don't recall any others?

Also thank you!! :crossedf:

Yes, many of them are doing this this year, Aberdeen, Dundee, Newcastle, QUB, Sunderland, Barts, ARU, HYMS, just off the top of my head, and I'm sure many more are doing it unofficially
Is this waitlist thread only for undergraduate medicine or GEM as well? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lettheunidecide
Is this waitlist thread only for undergraduate medicine or GEM as well? Thanks

It's for both but I think they are separate waiting lists so if you're a grad applying for BM5 then you'll be on a separate waiting list to a school leaver applying for BM5. If you're a grad applying for BM4 then it'll just one waiting list for that particular course (as everyone applying for that course is in the same position).
Does anyone have any idea what the average percentage of waitlisted applicants get an offer in GEM unis? Perhaps 10-20% for popular unis ? And maybe 30-40% not so popular unis?

And will Waitlist acceptance rate increase due to the government instructing unis not to over offer? TIA
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lettheunidecide
Does anyone have any idea what the average percentage of waitlisted applicants get an offer in GEM unis? Perhaps 10-20% for popular unis ? And maybe 30-40% not so popular unis?

And will Waitlist acceptance rate increase due to the government instructing unis not to over offer? TIA

We would honestly just be guessing. It could be no waitlisted candidates one year and then 5 the next.

It's a nice bonus if it happens but otherwise you should be planning for a gap year or whatever your plan B option is.
Original post by Admit-One
We would honestly just be guessing. It could be no waitlisted candidates one year and then 5 the next.

It's a nice bonus if it happens but otherwise you should be planning for a gap year or whatever your plan B option is.

does this apply to standard entry for school leavers who are waitlisted too?
Original post by med.33333
does this apply to standard entry for school leavers who are waitlisted too?

Yes. Unis are usually pretty good at estimating how many offers they need to completely fill the course, but in any given year it could be a good or bad set of results which might make them use the waitlist more, (or not at all). It's very case by case, by it's by no means impossible
I think there may be some movement this year because of the insistence by the government that A Level results (grading) go back to 2019 levels (i.e. reducing the TAG inflation in 2020 and 2021). This year's cohort of school leavers received TAGs for GCSEs (and arguably, many will have done better than they otherwise would have) which may have influenced predicted grades. Formal A levels in 2023 will be "back to normal" and I think its likley therefore that there will be a fair number of students missing their grades and unis working down their waitlist for students who got the grades.
Original post by Parenttotwo
I think there may be some movement this year because of the insistence by the government that A Level results (grading) go back to 2019 levels (i.e. reducing the TAG inflation in 2020 and 2021). This year's cohort of school leavers received TAGs for GCSEs (and arguably, many will have done better than they otherwise would have) which may have influenced predicted grades. Formal A levels in 2023 will be "back to normal" and I think its likley therefore that there will be a fair number of students missing their grades and unis working down their waitlist for students who got the grades.

I hope so, i’m not on an official wait list but the main batch of offers have passed for the uni i’ve interviewed at. I hope I can get an offer, i’m just unsure as it has been over a month since that batch.
Original post by Parenttotwo

Is this only applicable to undergraduate med? (First time applying to ucas sorry! )
Hello guys. I have already accepted an unconditional offer to study chemistry so my place is confirmed. However I recieved this email from birmingham

“We are aware that in addition to BSc Chemistry, you applied to study MBChB Medicine and Surgery, attended an interview, but had not secured an offer for 2023 entry.

Medicine is a popular programme and as such, the level of competition for places is greater than the number of places we have available for September 2023 (or 2024 for deferred entry).

All Medicine candidates were ranked based on their overall interview score, and conditional offers have been sent to successful applicants. Although your score meant that we were unable to offer you a place to study Medicine at this time, we wanted to let you know that your academic performance still remains strong, and we now have an additional option available to you.”

And then it gives me a link to sign up to a waitlist

Can I sign up to the waiting list even tho I’ve already accepted an unconditional chemistry offer? And if I get rejected from the waitlist will I still keep my chemistry offer ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending