The Student Room Group

Architecture without taking art?

Is it worth switching graphic communications to art?

The subjects I am taking at higher next year are

- Math - English - Physics - Geography - Graphic Communications

I intend on applying to architecture courses and am unsure as to whether graphics would fall under 'evidence of artistic ability at National 5 or higher' as is required by universities that don't ask for a portfolio e.g. Strathclyde and Edinburgh.
(edited 1 year ago)
It might be suitable. If you are interested in architecture then it’s worthwhile spending free time on life and observational drawing practice and projects - good drawing skills will help with graphics too as well as being a solid skill to build on in your degree
Original post by elpol

I intend on applying to architecture courses and am unsure as to whether graphics would fall under 'evidence of artistic ability at National 5 or higher' as is required by universities that don't ask for a portfolio e.g. Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

Hey! Current first year archi student at Edi. I took Art, Physics and Spanish and while art is helpful in one of the modules in your very first semester, many people in my year didn't actually take art and you develop your observational and drawing skills pretty much on the job. Graphics should fall under artistic evidence but definitely email the school / admissions office just to make sure so there isn't any confusion.
Reply 3
Original post by Veronica K
Hey! Current first year archi student at Edi. I took Art, Physics and Spanish and while art is helpful in one of the modules in your very first semester, many people in my year didn't actually take art and you develop your observational and drawing skills pretty much on the job. Graphics should fall under artistic evidence but definitely email the school / admissions office just to make sure so there isn't any confusion.

Thanks, I'll make sure to ask about it! This is a relief to hear as I was worried that not taking art would ruin any chances of a place at uni. How are you enjoying the course?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by elpol
Thanks, I'll make sure to ask about it! This is a relief to hear as I was worried that not taking art would ruin any chances of a place at uni. How are you enjoying the course?

No problem! :smile: I really like the course, perfect mix between history, design and tech for me. Does get quite intense at times with the workload but you're surrounded by your studio group so its easy to get help from your peers. Definitely a constant journey of improvement and exploration
Original post by Veronica K

hi veronica, is there a lot of maths in the architecture course?
Original post by viictoriaa25
hi veronica, is there a lot of maths in the architecture course?

Hey! For the Edi course, while there is a focus on art, there is quite a bit of maths. A course that I'm required to take this semester has physics formulae and new formulae specific to architectural design. If you haven't done either physics or maths before, it might be a little tricky to get the hang of but a lot of my coursemates haven't taken either and are doing fine. We're given resources for those who are new to the more mathematical side and formulas are gone over in the lecture and workshop.
Reply 7
Original post by elpol

for anyone else wondering Edinburgh just got back to me saying they do take graphic communications as artistic evidence!
Original post by elpol
for anyone else wondering Edinburgh just got back to me saying they do take graphic communications as artistic evidence!

That's great! Glad they got back and cleared it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending