The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

I'm A Current Midwifery Student - Ask Me Anything (AMA)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tracey_W
Footwear - get yourself a pair of very comfortable shoes ( I wear Sketchers trainers as we are allowed to wear them or shoes) I would seek what the hospital trust uniform policy is so you know whether or not you can wear trainers or is it shoes.

Fob watch - the silicone types are very good for nursing as very hygienic and easy to clean.
Books - you'll hopefully get a PDF list of what books are related to your coursework as varys from university to university when you start. ( Anatomy and physiology of the human body would be a good book to get hold of. - don't have to be latest edition but you should use perhaps the version before as only thing that changes usually on books updates are any medications and technology.

Pens - lots and lots of bio pen's
Notebooks - A4 for taking notes down at lectures
Pocket notebooks for to put in your uniform pockets for when on placements as you can take down notes on what you are doing throughout the day when you get opportunities to write it down okay.
Highlights pens for highlighting important thing's on your coursework as everything you write down will at some point form part of your essays, assignment and any exams.

Clothing for placements - wear your normal clothes untill you are in the hospital and then you'll have to change into your nursing uniform and then change out of it at end of your shift ( so hospitals trusts has policies stating you can't wear your uniform to and from your placement and others allow you to wear it - you'll have to see what the policy states about it ok) we weren't allowed to wear it outside of our placements and it's same policy for qualified staff.

A NHS registered midwife

Aww thank you for those tips and advice
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by bubblinbee84
I’m starting midwifery in sept. What’s the most important things I should get first? Do you get a list of items required? What Footwear/clothing for placements? Books best to get?

Hello @bubblinbee84

I hope you're well. Although Tracey has already replied, I will reply too and may end up repeating some of the same things but as I am the creator of this thread I do owe you a reply! Congratulations on your offer to start midwifery :smile:

Silicone fob watch - as these are easy to clean, and you'll use it a lot despite what placement area you are in. You can find these at affordable prices on: Etsy, Ebay, Amazon etc

Comfortable footwear - you can find out your Trust (hospital) uniform policy in terms of what they allow but from personal experience and many others in my cohort shoes from Sketchers and Clarks are the best. I completely forgot what mine are called but they have lasted me the entire three years and are ever so comfortable, they were from Clarks!

Clothing for placement - your university should provide you with a uniform to wear to placement that all students will wear so don't worry about that! It is normally a tunic and trousers and/or dress. I opted for 2x tunic & trousers and 2x dresses as that's the best of both worlds

DURABLE WATER BOTTLE! Over the years I've dropped and broke so many, so find one of good quality and can keep your water at the right temperature for you, if you like hot drinks - a flask is a shout too!

Lots and lots of black pens - can be bought from anywhere but cheapest places are probably: Poundland & Wilko
I would also recommend a normal sized notebook (for lectures) and a pocket notebook (for placement) to take notes of anything interesting that happened on your shift, or anything you want to research further.

APP: "My Shift Planner" this is a great app for when you finally get your placement rota you can colour code and name all your shifts and it's really easy to see when you are working and when you're not!

Books - your university should provide you with a reading list (essential & recommended) which could most likely be found in the university library, however if you do want to prepare beforehand "Mayes' Midwifery" OR "Myles Midwifery" are good books. Remember you won't be expected to know everything at this stage so don't panic.
Alison Edwards has great mini pocket books about small midwifery topics and I found these soo helpful, can be purchased through Amazon!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 42
Aww thank you for those tips and advice

You are so welcome 🤗🤗

Best of luck with your next 3 years of hard work ahead xxx
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello @bubblinbee84

I hope you're well. Although Tracey has already replied, I will reply too and may end up repeating some of the same things but as I am the creator of this thread I do owe you a reply! Congratulations on your offer to start midwifery :smile:

Silicone fob watch - as these are easy to clean, and you'll use it a lot despite what placement area you are in. You can find these at affordable prices on: Etsy, Ebay, Amazon etc

Comfortable footwear - you can find out your Trust (hospital) uniform policy in terms of what they allow but from personal experience and many others in my cohort shoes from Sketchers and Clarks are the best. I completely forgot what mine are called but they have lasted me the entire three years and are ever so comfortable, they were from Clarks!

Clothing for placement - your university should provide you with a uniform to wear to placement that all students will wear so don't worry about that! It is normally a tunic and trousers and/or dress. I opted for 2x tunic & trousers and 2x dresses as that's the best of both worlds

DURABLE WATER BOTTLE! Over the years I've dropped and broke so many, so find one of good quality and can keep your water at the right temperature for you, if you like hot drinks - a flask is a shout too!

Lots and lots of black pens - can be bought from anywhere but cheapest places are probably: Poundland & Wilko
I would also recommend a normal sized notebook (for lectures) and a pocket notebook (for placement) to take notes of anything interesting that happened on your shift, or anything you want to research further.

APP: "My Shift Planner" this is a great app for when you finally get your placement rota you can colour code and name all your shifts and it's really easy to see when you are working and when you're not!

Books - your university should provide you with a reading list (essential & recommended) which could most likely be found in the university library, however if you do want to prepare beforehand "Mayes' Midwifery" OR "Myles Midwifery" are good books. Remember you won't be expected to know everything at this stage so don't panic.
Alison Edwards has great mini pocket books about small midwifery topics and I found these soo helpful, can be purchased through Amazon!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Please let me know if you have any more questions!

awww that’s helpful thank you so much jade!! here’s to the next 3 years of sweat tears n joy lol!!!!
awww that’s helpful thank you so much jade!! here’s to the next 3 years of sweat tears n joy lol!!!!

Hey @bubblinbee84

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it, it'll be such a journey - just comment on this thread if you need any help or advice :smile:

Jade x
Reply 45
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Welcome!

My name is Jade, I am 21 years old and a 3rd year student midwife studying at Coventry University!:smile:
I enjoy going to the gym, eating at new restaurants and rollerskating!
Feel free to ask me anything - why I chose Coventry University, my experience as a student midwife, any tips for interviews, what to expect as a student midwife etc!

Please allow 24 - 48hours response time
I am looking forward to hearing from you all :smile:..

Hi Jade
I really want to come to Coventry to study Midwifery cause Im local to the area and like the way the course is structured in terms of hands on experience as well as the academic side.
Im fortunate to receive an online interview - any pointers would be most helpful as Im almost out of nails to bite and feeling overwhelmed with meeting the academic panel and being able to answer their questions as sometimes I get flustered when asked on the spot !
Your other posts on this thread have been so useful esp what to expect when preparing for the course (fobs and footwear)
Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Could you tell us what a typical week looks like at Uni (number of hours/day, face to face or online...) and also what are you term dates (do you have full summer holidays ?)
Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest