The Student Room Group

is this degree worth it?

i have an offer for biochemistry at bath and want to switch to chemistry with management, i just don't know if this is a good idea?

i absolutely don't want to go into research/work in a lab so thought this degree would be better than straight chemistry for job prospects, but I've looked at old student room threads which said the management part of the degree was practically useless to employers as it just shows you've done less 'science' in the degree and would prefer someone who did 100% chem in their degree instead.
im already pretty dead set on switching from biochemistry to chemistry, its just whether i should pick it with management or not. any help would be appreciated :smile:
If you absolutely don't want to go into research or work in a lab, then chemistry is a curious choice of degree - aside from teaching, the vast majority of jobs this qualifies you for will be as a technician or researcher. You could of course go on and do something unrelated to chemistry after getting your degree - but then, why do a chemistry degree if that is your plan?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by softwd
i have an offer for biochemistry at bath and want to switch to chemistry with management, i just don't know if this is a good idea?

i absolutely don't want to go into research/work in a lab so thought this degree would be better than straight chemistry for job prospects, but I've looked at old student room threads which said the management part of the degree was practically useless to employers as it just shows you've done less 'science' in the degree and would prefer someone who did 100% chem in their degree instead.
im already pretty dead set on switching from biochemistry to chemistry, its just whether i should pick it with management or not. any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hi @softwd,

I'm currently a second-year chemistry student at Lancaster University. Although I don't study any management, I know that a chemistry degree is a well-respected degree that can lead you in to lots of careers both science-related and not. For example, food scientist, toxicologist, patent attorney and environmental consultant. If you'd like to explore more options the prospects website is really good to look at. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/chemistry

Good luck deciding what degree to do!

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending