The Student Room Group

Is it worth picking Computer Science A-level?

The main job I want is a GP, and the second job (if I can't become a GP) is a software engineer. So for A-levels I am definitely going to pick Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry, but is it worth also picking Computer Science? I am very passionate about the subject, and will having an extra A-level also give me a better chance at university applications and applying for a job in the future?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hello there,
There is no need to do 4 A-Levels since you only need 3 to head to university. Doing 4 A-Levels can further showcase your academic ability but I would only do it if you can manage the workload, since ending up with A*A*A will be better than BBBB. You could always take 4 then drop one in Year 13?

If you decide to go to university, once you get your degree, your A-Levels won't be looked at by employers since your degree would be your most recent, and highest, qualification.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Aceful
Hello there,
There is no need to do 4 A-Levels since you only need 3 to head to university. Doing 4 A-Levels can further showcase your academic ability but I would only do it if you can manage the workload, since ending up with A*A*A will be better than BBBB. You could always take 4 then drop one in Year 13?

If you decide to go to university, once you get your degree, your A-Levels won't be looked at by employers since your degree would be your most recent, and highest, qualification.

Hope this helps.

Alright, I probably won't do computer science then because I want to maximise my grades for Maths, biology and chemistry as I want to be a GP.
Are degrees graded in the same way as a levels? (A, B, C etc?)

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by School_Student99
Original post by Aceful
Hello there,

Hope this helps.

Alright, I probably won't do computer science then because I want to maximise my grades for Maths, biology and chemistry as I want to be a GP.

Thanks!

Hey, degrees are graded in classes:

1st class, 2:1, 2:2 etc

I wouldn’t worry about it for now since you will be told when you start your degree what percentages are needed and what years are worth the most towards your final degree grade.
Original post by Aceful

Thanks!

Hey, degrees are graded in classes:

1st class, 2:1, 2:2 etc

I wouldn’t worry about it for now since you will be told when you start your degree what percentages are needed and what years are worth the most towards your final degree grade.
Cool, thank you very much for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest