The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Changing from computer science to Computer Science after first year.

Next year I am going to be studying computer science at Huddersfield Uni and I was wondering that if after the first year you are able to change to the MSci Computer science course if you do well and get good grades in the first year of computer science.

Both courses have the same first year and I wanted to do the MSci course but the entry requirements were AAB and I got BBB so I didn't apply but seen as they have the same first year if you are able to transfer based on high first year grades, is this usually possible or are you locked in to your course usually?
Usually it's possible to change between the BSc and MSci/MEng/etc versions of the same course within the first two years, subject to your results. The only thing to note is if you go from the 3 year to the 4 year course, you might need to iron out some SFE issues if you end up having to retake a year. Other than that it's typically largely an administrative task more than anything of talking to your tutor at the uni and filling in some forms.

However if you know you would rather do the 4 year course, I would recommend either a) applying directly to that course in the first place or b) if you're holding an offer for the 3 year course, ask if they will consider switching your offer to the 4 year course. It just makes things a bit simpler if you go into the 4 year course from the start. But as noted, you can usually still swap between them as needed anyway.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Next year I am going to be studying computer science at Huddersfield Uni and I was wondering that if after the first year you are able to change to the MSci Computer science course if you do well and get good grades in the first year of computer science.

Both courses have the same first year and I wanted to do the MSci course but the entry requirements were AAB and I got BBB so I didn't apply but seen as they have the same first year if you are able to transfer based on high first year grades, is this usually possible or are you locked in to your course usually?

Hi Anon,

We got in touch with the admissions team for that course about your query and this is what they said:

"Students can transfer from the BSc to the MSci after the first year if they average a 2:1 (60%) throughout, or the student can wait until they have completed their UG study then there is the opportunity at the end of the course to look at transferring to that final MSci year."

I was a student on the BSc Computing course 2013-2017 and recall being made an offer to study on the MSCi after receiving my results in June of final year, so it is a very easy and natural progression to make but I had no interest on gaining a Masters in the subject due to career aspirations changing.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the course- my Computing degree often overlapped with Comp Sci- in fact we were taught the exact same modules in first year and had a few shared core modules in the other two years of my degree :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social media and content officer. University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending