The Student Room Group

Any good suggestions for Mathematics Degree without Further Maths?

I wasn't able to take FM but still want to take Maths at Uni, some other options I was considering was:

Computer Sci (no GCSE or A Level experience though)
Engineering
Mainly Maths with Stats/Data Science

I took Physics, Maths and Chemistry for A Level, I'm still in Year 12 so I think I have a decent amount of time to decide, any reccomendations I could look at or consider for open days I would appreciate.
Original post by seraph147
I wasn't able to take FM but still want to take Maths at Uni, some other options I was considering was:

Engineering

I took Physics, Maths and Chemistry for A Level, I'm still in Year 12 so I think I have a decent amount of time to decide, any reccomendations I could look at or consider for open days I would appreciate.

Tiny note. Most CS programs don't actually require computer science at A-Level or GCSE. You can try doing a little bit of programming and seeing if you enjoy it or not. But again, its not necessary.

Not having taken further math, you might need to do STEP though.

May I know what kind of universities you're thinking of applying to? What kind of grades are you getting? And what interests do you have.

Engineering

Most universities dont require FM. Maths degrees differ wildly. Some heavy pure, others mechanics, sometimes stats. There are about 1/2 dozen or so who require FM. The rest dont. Look at places like Bath, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Cardiff, East Anglia, Southampton, Loughborough plus loads more.

Engineering

Why couldn't you take FMaths?
Are you in England?
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities dont require FM. Maths degrees differ wildly. Some heavy pure, others mechanics, sometimes stats. There are about 1/2 dozen or so who require FM. The rest dont. Look at places like Bath, Lancaster, Exeter, Birmingham, York, Cardiff, East Anglia, Southampton, Loughborough plus loads more.

This one from Bath seems up your street and you dont need FM

https://www.bath.ac.uk/s/redirect?collection=uob-ce-production-courses&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bath.ac.uk%2Fcourses%2Fundergraduate-2024%2Fmathematical-sciences%2Fbsc-mathematics-statistics-and-data-science&auth=FZglNNhTo4IhxFLIRwzTFw&profile=_default&rank=11&query=maths
Original post by swanseajack1

Hi @swanseajack1 and @seraph147,

I noticed Loughborough was mentioned, so I just wanted to comment.

If you want to take a look at Loughborough's BSc Mathematics course, visit this webpage. You'll be able to find entry requirements, module information and careers information there.

I hope this helps :smile: please get in touch if you have any further questions.

- Lindsay

Engineering

After completing a BSc in Maths and Stats at Newcastle, I can say for certain you don't need further maths to do well in the course. It obviously helps, but especially if you're looking to choose stats modules, further maths probably won't help that much. For example, my school offered further maths but didn't do any further stats. They teach all the pure maths you need from the start so you'll be fine if you don't do FM. I'm assuming this is the same for most unis
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Why couldn't you take FMaths?
Are you in England?

I was a bit lazy and only got a 7 at GCSE, but my school wanted an 8 to take it, I don't think I was mentally prepared at the time either
Reply 9
Original post by Zacky VT
Tiny note. Most CS programs don't actually require computer science at A-Level or GCSE. You can try doing a little bit of programming and seeing if you enjoy it or not. But again, its not necessary.

Not having taken further math, you might need to do STEP though.

May I know what kind of universities you're thinking of applying to? What kind of grades are you getting? And what interests do you have.

The way my school's done it, is they put my GCSEs through and algorithm and calculated a Target Grade which came out as B, B,C but they told me not to worry as they will revise the grades after my PPEs for my Uni Application, I am hoping to have a decent improvement during Easter and I am pretty motivated so I hope I can get atleast AAB but it might be a bit ambitious.

Interms of Universities, one of the ones that stood out was Surrey, also I am pretty motivated to do Mathematics because my desire for taking Physics/Chemistry at a degree level I don't think I would enjoy
(edited 1 year ago)
The way my school's done it, is they put my GCSEs through and algorithm and calculated a Target Grade which came out as B, B,C but they told me not to worry as they will revise the grades after my PPEs for my Uni Application, I am hoping to have a decent improvement during Easter and I am pretty motivated so I hope I can get atleast AAB but it might be a bit ambitious.

Interms of Universities, one of the ones that stood out was Surrey, also I am pretty motivated to do Mathematics because my desire for taking Physics/Chemistry at a degree level I don't think I would enjoy

Surrey? No, Guildford is boring and it's not well-regarded for Maths.

Before I do recommend unis - are you decided on Maths or not?

Engineering

Hi!

Like other people on this thread have mentioned, quite a few universities don't require FM for a Maths degree. Since you mentioned some other sciences at degree level I thought I'd mention Natural Sciences. I've just graduated with a Natural Sciences BSc from Lancaster University and I studied Maths, Mechanical Engineering, and Physical Geography.

Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from computer science, engineering, physics, maths, biology, chemistry, earth sciences, and more, so there are many different possible combinations! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ .

I have loved the degree, and have started studying a Mechanical Engineering Masters since that ended up being my favourite subject of my Natural Sciences undergraduate.

If you have any questions about the course just let me know :smile:

-Bethan (Lancaster University Natural Sciences Ambassador)

Engineering

Hi! Just wanted to add to Bethan's comment.

Lancaster is one university that doesn't require FM for their Maths degree (more information can be found in the course page here) and while I can't speak for the Maths side of things, I also noticed you were also considering Computer Science as an option. I'm a final-year CS student at Lancs and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. GCSE or A Level Computer Science isn't a requirement as the course assumes you're a beginner and you'll be taught programming from scratch in first year. The CS course page can be found here. Lancaster's Computing department has just done a bit of a revamp of the curriculum so there are more optional modules offered.

If you want to explore the different fields in STEM, Natural Sciences is a really good option, but there are also joint degrees if you find that closer to your application there are two notable fields you're interested in. Some common ones are Maths and Computer Science.

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
You may not realise the ranking of university matters. There are many other universities with better reputation in global and computer subject ranking leagues, Nottingham is one of them. I don't know where you are from and what is your objective. I assume you are not a citizen of the UK, if you had a plan to work in the UK upon graduation, you should pick a university with higher ranking and a country with friendlier immigration policy. In term of post study work visa policy, Australia is the best option. You can work legally for 4 years there.
(edited 1 year ago)

Engineering

Hello!

The Mathematics BSc at Surrey doesn't require FM. The course requires an A at A-level; however, if you don't achieve this, there is always the option of a foundation year to help you feel ready for the degree :smile: You can find out more about the course here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/mathematics#entry

There are many options available to you with your A-level combination. If you decided you would prefer to do another course, here are the links for Surrey.
Computer science: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/computer-science
Mathematics with Statistics: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/mathematics-statistics
Engineering courses: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/department-electrical-electronic-engineering/study/undergraduate-courses#courses

Attending open days for different programmes can be a great way to get a sense of what each programme entails and whether it's the right fit for you. You could also speak to your teachers or career advisors for further guidance and advice.

Please let me know if you have any general queries about Surrey, and best of luck with your search!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology student
Original post by Oliver Middlemas
After completing a BSc in Maths and Stats at Newcastle, I can say for certain you don't need further maths to do well in the course. It obviously helps, but especially if you're looking to choose stats modules, further maths probably won't help that much. For example, my school offered further maths but didn't do any further stats. They teach all the pure maths you need from the start so you'll be fine if you don't do FM. I'm assuming this is the same for most unis

In that case, it's a nice backup for me (I'm considering it)
Reply 17
Original post by justlearning1469
In that case, it's a nice backup for me (I'm considering it)

Do visit. Newcastle is a wonderful city.
Original post by RichE
Do visit. Newcastle is a wonderful city.

Hope the Math and Stats course is good...

It's a good backup, the grades needed aren't that high, cheap to live etc. so I can consider it

Quick Reply

Latest