The Student Room Group

Changing Courses After Receiving an Offer

@Peterhouse Admissions

I have an conditional offer to read Engineering at Cambridge, but I'm having second thoughts and would like to read Computer Science. Although, I'm not sure yet, how would I go about changing courses and would I do it now or after a year? How likely would they allow me to change courses.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by rohs
@Peterhouse Admissions

I have an conditional offer to read Engineering at Cambridge, but I'm having second thoughts and would like to read Computer Science. Although, I'm not sure yet, how would I go about changing courses and would I do it now or after a year? How likely would they allow me to change courses.

Thanks.

I would contact admissions and ask if this was possible. I'd do it now before starting as it may be easier and if they have spaces.
Reply 2
Hi, so would you suggest a mail to admissions stating the same? I'm not yet sure whether I want to swap however.
Reply 3
Original post by rohs
Hi, so would you suggest a mail to admissions stating the same? I'm not yet sure whether I want to swap however.

Yes but be sure first before asking
Hi there!

If you are sure you wish to change courses before you start, you should email your College Admissions Office. If you do ask, you should be prepared that you might not be allowed to change course or that you have to have another interview or take an assessment if your college are prepared to consider it. if you do think you would like to change, you should have a good reason why you want to and evidence of your interest in Computer Science. Having a good reason why you would like to change won't make it more likely that you'll be allowed to change, but your college might take your request more seriously if they can see you've really thought about it. You're not going to lose your offer for asking, but you should be prepared to be told that it's not possible. That doesn't mean that if you're not permitted to change now it might not be possible later on. If you would still like to change at the end of your first year, you will need to speak to your Tutor in the first instance.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending