The Student Room Group

liverpool or leicester medicine

Hi everyone, help me choose which medical school to firm!
I am really struggling to decide between the two I have done lots of research and am thinking i prefer the course at Leicester (although still like liverpools course) but prefer liverpool as a city.
If it's to any avail... Leicester is a good city. The night life is good (If you're into that), nothing compared to the likes of Manchester for example... but it still has plenty of spoons, good clubs (Fanclub, Mosh... Rbar lmfao) or if you want to just have a day out with your friends, there's Lane7, Treetop adventure golf, shopping in the highcross, vintage clothes shops, St Martins square for lunch, National Space centre, Fosse Park (About £3 on a bus from the centre, to the shopping precinct), Meridian Leisure Park, Bradgate Park, gyms, bunch of museums and libraries etc.

It has some amazing countryside... if you get bored you can hop on a train to Nottingham (Around £6).. Train station is literally a couple of minutes walk from the regent road campus. Leicester has the curve theatre, phoenix cinema (Leicester's one of the cultural charters). King Power/Tigers stadium (If you're into sport), Leicester Uni's student union run some great events - (https://www.leicesterunion.com/events/19203/4865/) (Food is actually top notch too. ) - plus the De Montfort Hall has comedians, musicians always playing (https://www.demontforthall.co.uk/whats-on) ...

https://studyinn.com/things-to-do/things-to-do-as-a-student-before-graduating-in-leicester/ - recommend this link

Hope this helps!
Might want to also look at what places you'll have clinical placements at, how far they are from the uni city in terms of commuting, if they provide accommodation for you while on distant placements etc - particularly later in the course. Might be a factor worth considering :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there!

So Liverpool is a great city to live in, and very affordable in comparison to many other UK cities. I'll focus on the city itself, as course work I didn't do Medicine so can't provide too much detail there, although I know the course is very strong in Liverpool.

Culture-wise Liverpool really does cater for everything, there is many museums, art galleries, and music venues of all kinds and sizes. The nightlife generally is great, and if you like getting out in the outdoors there is lots of beachs and nice countyside just 15-30 minutes train away. Within the city there is many amazing parks too e.g. Sefton and Princes Park.

Let me know if there is anything specific that you would like to know more about :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by Lydia123456789
Hi everyone, help me choose which medical school to firm!
I am really struggling to decide between the two I have done lots of research and am thinking i prefer the course at Leicester (although still like liverpools course) but prefer liverpool as a city.

Hi I am in the same boat out of interest what did you decide? went to the Leicester offer holder day and course sounded really good waiting for the Liverpool one in 3 weeks and will then decide.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
My daughter is in the same boat too choosing between these two. Again, she is going to do the offer holder day in a few weeks and then decide. It's a tough one
Original post by NT2023
My daughter is in the same boat too choosing between these two. Again, she is going to do the offer holder day in a few weeks and then decide. It's a tough one

Hi there,

Its a great idea to go to the offer holder days from the respective Universities, that way you get a really good 'feel' for what you enjoy and like about the city and University! Let me know if she has any specific questions and I'll do my best to help :smile:

Reply 7
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

Its a great idea to go to the offer holder days from the respective Universities, that way you get a really good 'feel' for what you enjoy and like about the city and University! Let me know if she has any specific questions and I'll do my best to help :smile:

I have a question if you don’t mind are the lectures face to face or online? Leicester was 💯 face to face and lectures are recorded so just wondering about Liverpool. I just wish the offer holder day was sooner so I can make a decision.
Original post by A415
I have a question if you don’t mind are the lectures face to face or online? Leicester was 💯 face to face and lectures are recorded so just wondering about Liverpool. I just wish the offer holder day was sooner so I can make a decision.

Hi there,

So at Liverpool all of the lectures are now face to face.

Reply 9
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

So at Liverpool all of the lectures are now face to face.

Good to know thank you
Reply 10
Hi so I went to the Liverpool open day yesterday and loved the city, course wise I preferred Leicester and there offer holder day was more informative, but I feel I would also be ok with the Liverpool structure.

The placements seem good and are mainly commutable which was a good thing. Accommodation was nice and loved that everything was walking distance.

So based on spending maybe 6 years in a city I have decided to firm Liverpool.

Did you both go to the offer holder day and what did you think?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by A415
Hi so I went to the Liverpool open day yesterday and loved the city, course wise I preferred Leicester and there offer holder day was more informative, but I feel I would also be ok with the Liverpool structure.

The placements seem good and are mainly commutable which was a good thing. Accommodation was nice and loved that everything was walking distance.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the city and the University! Great decision to firm :smile:

Reply 12
Original post by A415

The placements seem good and are mainly c
m

which was a good thing. Accommodation was nice and loved that everything was walking distance.

My daughter thought very similar to you. Thought the Leicester open day was better organised and liked that she met the lecturers as well as students. She thought the course sounded great there. Liverpool appealed to her more as a city and the placements sound great. Overall she just thought she could see herself in Liverpool for 5 years more, so is going to firm there.
Reply 13
Original post by NT2023
My daughter thought very similar to you. Thought the Leicester open day was better organised and liked that she met the lecturers as well as students. She thought the course sounded great there. Liverpool appealed to her more as a city and the placements sound great. Overall she just thought she could see herself in Liverpool for 5 years more, so is going to firm there.

Good to hear your daughter had similar thoughts it was a tough decision but I went with where I saw myself. Now just need the A’levels 🤞🏼

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending