The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Interested in sharing your views? Why not become a Course Rep?

At Kingston University, Course Representatives play a vital role in delivering feedback to academic staff and ultimately deciding how a course is taught or run by tutors. As fellow students on your course, they can better understand your own immediate struggles or issues for example, if there’s too much work expected in too short a period of time or if a part of the course isn’t as good as it could be and can help advertise relevant group events or opportunities to peers.

Being a Course Rep is a great way to make your voice and opinions heard, and allows you to advocate for what’s best for your friends and classmates. It can involve collecting and relaying student feedback, representing student views, making announcements to others and often updating others on what’s going to change in the course in the future thanks to their feedback. It’s a fantastic chance to develop your confidence, as well as improving your leadership, negotiation and communication skills. I know that I personally rely on my course reps a lot, and have already went to them a few times in my first year to talk about upcoming events and give feedback on what works well in my course. 😊

Course Reps are volunteers for their own specific course although there’s often more than just one per course due to the massive benefits! Being a Course Rep is noted down on your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR), and staff will offer tips on how best to mention this experience in job interviews or other applications to emphasise all the skills you’ve gathered from your time as a Course Rep. It can also give you some much needed experience with more formal events and meetings, such as Student Voice or Faculty Forums, which will be a massive help if you hope to work in larger organisations/corporate positions when you leave university. Furthermore, regular social events are run for a wide variety of different Course Reps to interact with one another and from what I’ve heard, some socials even include free pizza! :pizza:

If you’re a current student who is interested in becoming a Course Rep, let your course leader know. If you’re not a student yet, but hoping to come to Kingston soon, don’t worry! Course leaders typically run recruitment drives for course reps in the first month or so of the academic year, so just listen out for any announcements about becoming a course rep when you arrive. You’ll receive all the training you need to succeed at your role, so don’t worry if you’re not sure how to do it right away.

If you’ve any questions, don’t hesitate to ask - I hope I’ve inspired some of you to consider becoming Course Reps in the near future!

- Eve (BA Fine Art and Art History).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending