The Student Room Group

Law Degree with STEM A Levels?

Hoping some Law guys or anyone in my situation could help. I'm looking to pursue a career in Law as I find it really interesting and would love to get into the legal field to maybe become a solicitor. However, I took A Levels in STEM subjects (Computer Science, Maths and Physics). I know 99% of people who apply to law degrees all have done A Levels in either English, History or both. I was wondering if it would be unrealistic for me to apply to law or if it would be extremely difficult considering I have a STEM background and a Law degree requires a lot of essay writing. I recently dropped out of a very good and competitive Computer Science course as it wasn't for me. Was hoping for other people's opinions. I tend to pick up things very quickly and am quite bright, but am still a bit nervous whether I'll be out of my depth.
Reply 1
Original post by mandonamz
Hoping some Law guys or anyone in my situation could help. I'm looking to pursue a career in Law as I find it really interesting and would love to get into the legal field to maybe become a solicitor. However, I took A Levels in STEM subjects (Computer Science, Maths and Physics). I know 99% of people who apply to law degrees all have done A Levels in either English, History or both. I was wondering if it would be unrealistic for me to apply to law or if it would be extremely difficult considering I have a STEM background and a Law degree requires a lot of essay writing. I recently dropped out of a very good and competitive Computer Science course as it wasn't for me. Was hoping for other people's opinions. I tend to pick up things very quickly and am quite bright, but am still a bit nervous whether I'll be out of my depth.

Another option is to do a STEM degree, or whatever degree you think you will enjoy, and then pursue a career in law. You don’t need a law degree to be a solicitor. Might be worth considering, as are you sure you will enjoy going from STEM, where you don’t write any essays, to law, where you don’t do anything but write essays are read loads.
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
Another option is to do a STEM degree, or whatever degree you think you will enjoy, and then pursue a career in law. You don’t need a law degree to be a solicitor. Might be worth considering, as are you sure you will enjoy going from STEM, where you don’t write any essays, to law, where you don’t do anything but write essays are read loads.

Yeah I get that. Only thing is that I’ve had a couple offers for solicitor apprenticeships which is ideally what I’m trying to aim for. They require you to do a law degree as part of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending