The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship or university

I’ve recently just gotten an offer from a really good firm based in London for a degree apprenticeship. This was really hard to get and it really appeals to me as it is a role I’d enjoy, a degree that will give me lots of options and a fairly high salary (compared to the average for apprentices)

I’ve also gotten 4/5 of my university offers and I’d either go to Loughborough (because of the course) or Warwick (if I get in)

My main concern is the work/life balance if I choose the apprenticeship. I’d have to commute to London 3 days a week and the train is direct 1hr and 15 mins. The uni side of the apprenticeship is mainly virtual and residentials which is good however i don’t know whether the commute to London will be too difficult. It’s also really expensive and the company said they can’t cover it for day to day so after I pay taxes and travel I won’t have much left in my pocket.

Any help appreciated/advice and if anyone knows a way to try get the cheapest train tickets that would be helpful :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve recently just gotten an offer from a really good firm based in London for a degree apprenticeship. This was really hard to get and it really appeals to me as it is a role I’d enjoy, a degree that will give me lots of options and a fairly high salary (compared to the average for apprentices)

I’ve also gotten 4/5 of my university offers and I’d either go to Loughborough (because of the course) or Warwick (if I get in)

My main concern is the work/life balance if I choose the apprenticeship. I’d have to commute to London 3 days a week and the train is direct 1hr and 15 mins. The uni side of the apprenticeship is mainly virtual and residentials which is good however i don’t know whether the commute to London will be too difficult. It’s also really expensive and the company said they can’t cover it for day to day so after I pay taxes and travel I won’t have much left in my pocket.

Any help appreciated/advice and if anyone knows a way to try get the cheapest train tickets that would be helpful :smile:

How much is the pay per annum? 3 days a week travel really isn't that bad.
Original post by Dnsnnssn
How much is the pay per annum? 3 days a week travel really isn't that bad.

£28k (before tax)
£28k (before tax)

Go for it then.lol

First of all, absolutely massive congrats!!

I have an offer myself with a firm in London for a degree apprenticeship so yh I definitely get you, it's a tough decision :'(
But one little thing I'd like to add is, whilst it's annoying to choose, remember that it's always better to have a choice than not XD

One thing you may need to consider is, can you see yourself commuting there and back every day... I myself am not a huge fan of huge cities, but I feel like London is worth it? I would say weigh up your options but overall, do what makes you happier cuz yolo loll

In terms of tickets, using trainline for monthly tickets might be worth it, but I have to be honest, I'm gonna have to research into it a lot myself :/
That's all I got for now, hope that helps at all <33
The thing is you can always enter university at a later date if you decide the degree apprenticeship is not for you. But to land a good degree apprenticeship is incredibly rare and hard. So if after a year you don't like the degree apprenticeship route, and you gave it your all, then go get a normal degree.
(edited 1 year ago)

Huge congratulations on the offer! I am a degree apprentice, in my 4th year of 6. Although there are many great known benefits to apprenticeships, there are a few drawbacks (at least for me) and I would ask yourself the following questions:

I have a similar commute to you and it is a long slog, and tiring. Do you like London as a city? Could you see yourself staying for team socials after 6pm and rushing for the last train home? After a long and potentially stressful day at work, how would you deal with the trains being cancelled and not getting in until after 9pm and having to get a 7am train the next day? Some would say this is just life, but if you have the option to avoid it/work locally, would that be preferable?

On the other hand, once you have been to university, do you think you would just take a job in London anyway? Is it likely that your salary will increase in a year or two? A few apprentices I know started living with their parents but started renting in London a year or two down the line.

Are you 100% sure the job/course is definitely for you? Have you had relevant work experience that you really enjoyed? Have you also explored and ruled out other careers? University gives you the time to consider exactly what you want to do, and explore alternative options. The apprenticeship is great if you are super sure about what you want to do. Does your apprenticeship involve rotating around teams? What if you do not enjoy the team you are in?

My sister has gone to university and is having the time of her life, is always going on trips, making so many friends - something which is harder through the apprenticeship route. That being said, there are a lot of things that the apprenticeship has awarded me - a long-term career if I want it, a free degree, buying my first house at 21, owning cars, going on holidays etc. I guess it depends where you see yourself in 5 years time, your goals, what you would like to achieve.
Original post by 𝕯𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖒є҉
First of all, absolutely massive congrats!!

I have an offer myself with a firm in London for a degree apprenticeship so yh I definitely get you, it's a tough decision :'(
But one little thing I'd like to add is, whilst it's annoying to choose, remember that it's always better to have a choice than not XD

One thing you may need to consider is, can you see yourself commuting there and back every day... I myself am not a huge fan of huge cities, but I feel like London is worth it? I would say weigh up your options but overall, do what makes you happier cuz yolo loll

In terms of tickets, using trainline for monthly tickets might be worth it, but I have to be honest, I'm gonna have to research into it a lot myself :/
That's all I got for now, hope that helps at all <33

Congrats to u as well!!

Personally I’ve always wanted to work in London and every time I go I genuinely can see myself working there. I guess I’ll just have to work around the commute but I recently got some advice which was that whilst commuting it’s a really good chance to get work done and also doing a degree apprenticeship saves you 3-4 years of your life (where you would be getting work experience after graduating) which has honestly changed my perspective.

Thank you for your advice and positivity and I wish you good luck in your degree apprenticeship if you decide to take it!
Original post by Dnsnnssn
The thing is you can always enter university at a later date if you decide the degree apprenticeship is not for you. But to land a good degree apprenticeship is incredibly rare and hard. So if after a year you don't like the degree apprenticeship route, and you gave it your all, then go get a normal degree.

Is that when you defer your offer?
Is that when you defer your offer?

Yeah u could defer Ur uni offers.
Huge congratulations on the offer! I am a degree apprentice, in my 4th year of 6. Although there are many great known benefits to apprenticeships, there are a few drawbacks (at least for me) and I would ask yourself the following questions:

I have a similar commute to you and it is a long slog, and tiring. Do you like London as a city? Could you see yourself staying for team socials after 6pm and rushing for the last train home? After a long and potentially stressful day at work, how would you deal with the trains being cancelled and not getting in until after 9pm and having to get a 7am train the next day? Some would say this is just life, but if you have the option to avoid it/work locally, would that be preferable?

On the other hand, once you have been to university, do you think you would just take a job in London anyway? Is it likely that your salary will increase in a year or two? A few apprentices I know started living with their parents but started renting in London a year or two down the line.

Are you 100% sure the job/course is definitely for you? Have you had relevant work experience that you really enjoyed? Have you also explored and ruled out other careers? University gives you the time to consider exactly what you want to do, and explore alternative options. The apprenticeship is great if you are super sure about what you want to do. Does your apprenticeship involve rotating around teams? What if you do not enjoy the team you are in?

My sister has gone to university and is having the time of her life, is always going on trips, making so many friends - something which is harder through the apprenticeship route. That being said, there are a lot of things that the apprenticeship has awarded me - a long-term career if I want it, a free degree, buying my first house at 21, owning cars, going on holidays etc. I guess it depends where you see yourself in 5 years time, your goals, what you would like to achieve.

Thank you! Those are all really good questions and it’s especially nice hearing from someone who is experiencing it.

I mean I love London and would hate to see myself working in a boring city and tbh I would most likely get a job in London after uni and would still most likely be commuting so that is a useful thing to consider. I also think I would struggle in uni (getting bored feeling like my work isn’t fulfilling etc.) so now the more I think about it I’m leaning towards the degree apprenticeship. Hopefully I’ll get used to the commute and it will only be 4 years for me.

Also if you don’t mind me asking how did you manage with only 25 holidays a year? For me it just seems terrifyingly less but I know it’s the corporate norm
Reply 11
wow this is great
Thank you! Those are all really good questions and it’s especially nice hearing from someone who is experiencing it.

I mean I love London and would hate to see myself working in a boring city and tbh I would most likely get a job in London after uni and would still most likely be commuting so that is a useful thing to consider. I also think I would struggle in uni (getting bored feeling like my work isn’t fulfilling etc.) so now the more I think about it I’m leaning towards the degree apprenticeship. Hopefully I’ll get used to the commute and it will only be 4 years for me.

Also if you don’t mind me asking how did you manage with only 25 holidays a year? For me it just seems terrifyingly less but I know it’s the corporate norm

Ah I am pleased to have helped a little bit!

The 25 day holiday thing is definitely a struggle, but you can manage it and use it in strategic ways alongside bank holidays and weekends to make it feel longer. I've taken only two days so far this year so definitely feel like I need some time off, but I have an 8-day holiday in June, a 6-day holiday in July and Christmas booked off with 11 days still to spare. Also, having study days as an apprentice helps a lot (at least for me, as mine is mostly just online independent work), I can choose to do things on my study days and make time to study another time if I want to.
Original post by Poni24
wow this is great

??
Ah I am pleased to have helped a little bit!

The 25 day holiday thing is definitely a struggle, but you can manage it and use it in strategic ways alongside bank holidays and weekends to make it feel longer. I've taken only two days so far this year so definitely feel like I need some time off, but I have an 8-day holiday in June, a 6-day holiday in July and Christmas booked off with 11 days still to spare. Also, having study days as an apprentice helps a lot (at least for me, as mine is mostly just online independent work), I can choose to do things on my study days and make time to study another time if I want to.

yeah that makes sense. thanks!

Hi there,

Congrats on your uni and degree apprenticeship offers!

It's great to hear you're considering studying at Loughborough. I know you're torn between going to uni or doing a degree apprenticeship but if you have any questions about studying at Loughborough or student life feel free to get in touch - we'd be happy to help :smile:

Jess
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi there,

Congrats on your uni and degree apprenticeship offers!

It's great to hear you're considering studying at Loughborough. I know you're torn between going to uni or doing a degree apprenticeship but if you have any questions about studying at Loughborough or student life feel free to get in touch - we'd be happy to help :smile:

Jess

Thank you! Yes of course i'll reach out if i have any questions
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please double check to see if your thread would be better suited in another area. Thank-you!

Id deffo go for the apprenticeship.
Its not an opportunity you get every day.
You get a job, a salary, experience etc. You dont get into debt like you would if you went to uni. You still get the qualification but your employer will pay the uni fees. You could always move nearer to work in the future if you wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest