The Student Room Group

Uni or degree apprenticiship

I've received offers from 3 unis (I'm yet to pick my firm and insurance) but now I'm debating taking a year out and applying for a degree apprenticeship for next year (as most applications are closed now). I applied to study computer science but my grades aren't where they need to be at the moment so my current plans are to wait until results day to make a decision but I'm very unsure if waiting the year is worth it
Reply 1
There are benefits for both:
For Degree Apprenticeships:
- You get a degree, but you also get ~3 years experience, immediately placing you above all the over graduates who have little to no experience. That will serve you throughout your life
- You often get a guaranteed job afterwards, relieving stress but also just being good
- All your tuition fees are payed, so no student debt, and most salaries are actually pretty high - even if you have to commute/rent for the apprenticeship you're still earning way more then you would at university.

Against Degree Apprenticeships (for Uni):
- You don't get the social life. It's a big deal for some, but it depends on you
- Often they're not the best unis - if you get good grades you could do better. However, this is negated by the fact that you have 3 years experience, so uni doesn't really matter
- It can be stressful to balance work and your degree
- Most degree apprenticeships are extremely competitive - they only accept a few, as opposed to some universities accepting many. It's a risky game if you take a gap year and don't reapply to universities too - many apply with universities, but also apply to a Degree Apprenticeship - if you don't get the apprenticeship you've got a fall-back.

In the end, it's up to you. Depending on how you view social life, a degree apprenticeship would generally be seen as a good bet, but that's if you can get it: hence why it's worth applying for universities at the same time. For a subject like computer science, that experience really helps you in the future. I'd recommend doing some research about gap years, and obviously considering your results. Everyone has a different opinion on what's better - it's just what fits you. Hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
If you don't get the grades to go this year then absolutely consider a degree apprenticeship - lots of companies offering apprenticeships in this area e.g. Barclays had one in cybercrime this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending