The Student Room Group

Kingston or Westminster university for architecture?

Currently conflicted with going to the University of Westminster or Kingston University to do architecture. I have visited Westminster for an open day and quite liked it, however I haven't been to Kingston but will be going to their open day soon. At the same time I have family telling me to go with Westminster as they have better prestiege for when I go to apply for a job, but I don't know if that's accurate. I personally wanted to go with the uni that felt right, but now I don't know whether to listen my family that are on about putting reputation first, and if so, does Kingston have a lesser reputation than Westminster? If anyone is in either uni I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me an insight on the course and what you think. Sorry for the lengthy explanation.
Original post by 1N3S
Currently conflicted with going to the University of Westminster or Kingston University to do architecture. I have visited Westminster for an open day and quite liked it, however I haven't been to Kingston but will be going to their open day soon. At the same time I have family telling me to go with Westminster as they have better prestiege for when I go to apply for a job, but I don't know if that's accurate. I personally wanted to go with the uni that felt right, but now I don't know whether to listen my family that are on about putting reputation first, and if so, does Kingston have a lesser reputation than Westminster? If anyone is in either uni I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me an insight on the course and what you think. Sorry for the lengthy explanation.

I suspect your family is confusing Westminster uni with Westminster school. The latter is one of the most famous public schools in the country but has nothing to do with the uni.

You need to consider if the course is right for you first, and then make sure that the uni is somewhere you would enjoy living and attending for three years.

Look through the course modules and think about whether the course structure, learning style and opportunities are right for you. Are there overseas fieldtrips; who will teach you and what are their areas of expertise; does the department have links with architectural practices? Search for the end-of-year show for both unis to see examples of the work being produced, and see if students' work is represented in the RIBA Presidents Medals Students Awards.

https://www.presidentsmedals.com/

It's your decision where to study not your family's.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RandomHooman

im litch on the same boat. deciding between those 2, i have no idea what to choose! Have u made ur decision yet?
Reply 3
Oh sorry I never thanked you for this response, I appreciate the advice you gave, cheers :smile:
Original post by normaw
I suspect your family is confusing Westminster uni with Westminster school. The latter is one of the most famous public schools in the country but has nothing to do with the uni.

You need to consider if the course is right for you first, and then make sure that the uni is somewhere you would enjoy living and attending for three years.

Look through the course modules and think about whether the course structure, learning style and opportunities are right for you. Are there overseas fieldtrips; who will teach you and what are their areas of expertise; does the department have links with architectural practices? Search for the end-of-year show for both unis to see examples of the work being produced, and see if students' work is represented in the RIBA Presidents Medals Students Awards.

https://www.presidentsmedals.com/

It's your decision where to study not your family's.
Reply 4
Original post by yannnsisieee
im litch on the same boat. deciding between those 2, i have no idea what to choose! Have u made ur decision yet?

Yessir, I decided to go for Kingston! Their uni's facilities was essentially like Westminster's but much bigger, I thought Westminster's fabrication lab was amazing, but Kingston's was another level. The course is pretty solid too, and the area also sold me. Overall it just felt right. Best of luck on your decision!
Yessir, I decided to go for Kingston! Their uni's facilities was essentially like Westminster's but much bigger, I thought Westminster's fabrication lab was amazing, but Kingston's was another level. The course is pretty solid too, and the area also sold me. Overall it just felt right. Best of luck on your decision!

heyyy, I have a question. im considering going to Kingston for architecture too this September as a first year, but im unsure and I just want to see if it's worth it or not.
Original post by darinkhalid
heyyy, I have a question. im considering going to Kingston for architecture too this September as a first year, but im unsure and I just want to see if it's worth it or not.

Hey! I’d definitely recommend, just finishing first year soon and it’s been a rollercoaster, but a pretty fun one, especially if u meet the right people :smile: Course wise, it can get overwhelming sometimes but if u’re good at organising urself and prioritising tasks u’ll be fine. Also, if u go to Clayhill halls, beware of silverfish
Hey! I’d definitely recommend, just finishing first year soon and it’s been a rollercoaster, but a pretty fun one, especially if u meet the right people :smile: Course wise, it can get overwhelming sometimes but if u’re good at organising urself and prioritising tasks u’ll be fine. Also, if u go to Clayhill halls, beware of silverfish

thank you so much!! this really helped me especially cause I know architecture is a hard course to go through. I hope to see you there in a few months (and ill definitely beware of the silverfish)
thank you so much!! this really helped me especially cause I know architecture is a hard course to go through. I hope to see you there in a few months (and ill definitely beware of the silverfish)

Greatt. Do look forward to some all nighters haha, but yeah u’ll enjoy it. Will see ya in a couple of months then!

Hi @darinkhalid

I would definitely agree with @RandomHooman about Kingstons course on Architecture! I am a second year student at the Kingston School of Art (KSA) and love it! My friends that do architecture have said that yes sometimes it can be overwhelming but they really enjoy the course and the facilities that the KSA has to offer, such as the workshops.

If you are thinking about accommodation, I would recommend looking at our Kingston forum on The Student Room to find our accommodation blog and insights into when accommodation is open to apply to (Sometime in May).

I would also recommend joining us on one of our open days! You can join a campus tour and get to meet the lecturers for a subject talk.

I hope this helped and please let me know if you have any questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending