The Student Room Group

Am I boring?

All my friends and work colleagues have all been travelling to exotic places. The only places I‘ve been Spain, France and parts of the UK.

I don‘t have anyone to travel with and I don‘t feel safe as a young woman going abroad alone.

I feel the pressure of always reaching high levels of expectations, not just travelling but going to fancy restaurants and bars, driving etc...

Do I have to go travelling as a 20+ yr old, is that my expectation in life?

Scroll to see replies

Why are you concerned about the perceived expectations of others particularly something so inconsequential as the place you go on holiday or the restaurant you go to?

Learn to be yourself.
Original post by R02022
All my friends and work colleagues have all been travelling to exotic places. The only places I‘ve been Spain, France and parts of the UK.

I don‘t have anyone to travel with and I don‘t feel safe as a young woman going abroad alone.

I feel the pressure of always reaching high levels of expectations, not just travelling but going to fancy restaurants and bars, driving etc...

I'm planning on going to Thailand later this year. You can be my travel buddy if you want? 😁
Original post by jay2013
I'm planning on going to Thailand later this year. You can be my travel buddy if you want? 😁

ssshhhh
Original post by R02022

Find poorer friends.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Find poorer friends.

Love this
Someone can travel the whole world and still be boring, and lots of people can’t afford to travel to exotic locations even if they wanted to. Being boring or not is more to do with personality rather than the places you visit.
Original post by R02022

If you think you're boring because you don't got to all the lovely places your friends and work colleagues go to-then you really shouldn't compare yourself to other people. Be happy in who you are and what you're doing. Being like other people sucks because you only really end becoming a facsimile of them if you want to do everything they do. Why don't you instead do something that makes other people envy you? Of course nobody should give a hoot what someone else is doing, but you don't need to be like anyone else.
Original post by R02022

the people who have to rely on travel experiences to add to their personality are more likely to be the boring ones.
Original post by R02022
ssshhhh

I'm serious. DM me for more details on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! 😎
I turned 36 today and have never left the shores of the UK

Is it bad? Well kind of

Does it make me boring? No.
You don't have to travel to be interesting. Surely you have some hobbies or interests you could pursue where you already live. Plus if you volunteer, take classes, or whatever else strikes your fancy, you're bound to meet new people.
Original post by R02022

I want u to take a step back rn n ask urself this. r YOU happy w ur life rn? Life is always full of expectations but we gotta take a step back sometimes n think about how we're feeling and if its what we want. Do you WANT to go travelling? Life especially at like 20 is about living ur life to the fullest and when i say that i don't mean partying every night as a lifestyle statement i mean doing things that actually make u happy. Things u dreamed of doing, things u wished u could do, things u wanna do. Could be something simple as listening to music and relaxing on a boat ride. It's what makes YOU happy and relaxed. The only expectations u should have r the ones made by u if u cant tell the difference between ur friends, ur parents and social media's influences on ur expectations. then write down a lil list of all the things u wanna do and imagine how u feel doing them would u feel happy or uncomfortable? Remember to stay true to ur urself, hope this helped
Original post by howifeltoday
I turned 36 today and have never left the shores of the UK

Is it bad? Well kind of

Does it make me boring? No.

Just out of curiosity why is this?
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Just out of curiosity why is this?

Just never got a passport.

Why don't ya get 1

This thread us making me chuckle. Don't you need one for ID
Original post by mollymoo!
This thread us making me chuckle. Don't you need one for ID

Got a drivers licence innit. Never get IDd in clubs anyway.
Got a drivers licence innit. Never get IDd in clubs anyway.

..not yet...
(edited 1 year ago)
As you grow older, you will realise to not live our life through other people. No one is on the same path as you and measuring your experiences against someone else is detrimental.

Quick Reply

Latest