The Student Room Group

What sport should I do at uni?

I'm a first year whose never been the sportiest person. I wanted to join one this year but the sports fair was too intimidating so I didn't. I want to join a sport for exercise and because I didn't make too many close friends at uni this year, I'm not really looking to be on a team.
My options are:
Rugby - Could be something I wouldn't be too bad at but I've literally never played before and the culture seems so awful. I'm a girl so maybe wouldn't be so bad but theres still joint socials etc.
Badminton - I've played a bit of badminton in the past but I am by no means good. It is fun to play but I dont think it has the team vibes that I want so it wont be as easy to make friends.
Volleyball - Never played outside of P.E, seems fun and team vibes, my bf plays it so can help me but I also dont want to copy him and I want to be my own person. Also female dominated so I'm worried everyone will have played at least a decent bit more that me and I will be the worst.
Korfball - 'a game similar to basketball, played by teams each consisting of four men and four women.' I'm not sure how I feel about the mixed teams, as well as it being an uncommon sport I sort of feel like it 'embarrassing' - in the same way as if I told people I played quidditch. However, I did like netball in school (again never played outside of PE) and it gives me the opportunity to do something similar without the cliqueyness of it all.
Ski soc - I ski with my family every couple of year and I really enjoy it but there is no official ski soc at my uni (UoM) as they got banned. There is muski (includes other unis) but its awkward to join because theres no stall where I can sign up or anything. Plus you only actually ski once a year, and even then its mostly drinking.

Any other options would also be appreciated - things to note:
- I'm a 5'5 slightly overweight girl, not very athletic - but somewhat strong due to my size
- I go to UoM so lots of people
- I drink and like socials but I dont like to get drunk
- I dont like feeling judged so sports where I feel like that e.g dance, martial arts etc. I dont think are for me.
Reply 1
I would just reach out to the Uni sports rep and have exactly the same conversation you have had here. See what they say. Then go with your gut feeling for the idea that sits on top of the 'ideas to work through' pile? Some sports will offer newbie taster sessions, and others are more suitable for individual participation. Look out too for fitness classes etc where you can get support too. Good luck.
Original post by Muttly
I would just reach out to the Uni sports rep and have exactly the same conversation you have had here. See what they say. Then go with your gut feeling for the idea that sits on top of the 'ideas to work through' pile? Some sports will offer newbie taster sessions, and others are more suitable for individual participation. Look out too for fitness classes etc where you can get support too. Good luck.

Thanks for this! How do I get in touch with my uni sports rep? It seems a bit intimidating too!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a first year whose never been the sportiest person. I wanted to join one this year but the sports fair was too intimidating so I didn't. I want to join a sport for exercise and because I didn't make too many close friends at uni this year, I'm not really looking to be on a team.
My options are:
Rugby - Could be something I wouldn't be too bad at but I've literally never played before and the culture seems so awful. I'm a girl so maybe wouldn't be so bad but theres still joint socials etc.
Badminton - I've played a bit of badminton in the past but I am by no means good. It is fun to play but I dont think it has the team vibes that I want so it wont be as easy to make friends.
Volleyball - Never played outside of P.E, seems fun and team vibes, my bf plays it so can help me but I also dont want to copy him and I want to be my own person. Also female dominated so I'm worried everyone will have played at least a decent bit more that me and I will be the worst.
Korfball - 'a game similar to basketball, played by teams each consisting of four men and four women.' I'm not sure how I feel about the mixed teams, as well as it being an uncommon sport I sort of feel like it 'embarrassing' - in the same way as if I told people I played quidditch. However, I did like netball in school (again never played outside of PE) and it gives me the opportunity to do something similar without the cliqueyness of it all.
Ski soc - I ski with my family every couple of year and I really enjoy it but there is no official ski soc at my uni (UoM) as they got banned. There is muski (includes other unis) but its awkward to join because theres no stall where I can sign up or anything. Plus you only actually ski once a year, and even then its mostly drinking.

- I'm a 5'5 slightly overweight girl, not very athletic - but somewhat strong due to my size
- I dont like feeling judged so sports where I feel like that e.g dance, martial arts etc. I dont think are for me.

Hi,

Have you thought about joining an intramural sports team? Intramural teams are ones outside of the main competitive teams, they are open to all abilities and are normally made up of those that would like to be part of a more relaxed sporting group. I am part of the University of Southampton's English society netball team, and have been since my first year (I am now in my third), and it has been a great way of making friends, keeping active and getting involved with a sport I love. The team has lots of socials and play against other IM teams that are made up of other academic societies or halls of residence teams. I love the fact that the IM team I joined does not require any try-outs, so everyone is truly welcome and will be given the opportunity to play regardless of experience. The whole dynamic is really supportive, friendly and fun, so I would really recommend having a look into IM and exploring the options available at your university!

I hope this helped.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

Have you thought about joining an intramural sports team? Intramural teams are ones outside of the main competitive teams, they are open to all abilities and are normally made up of those that would like to be part of a more relaxed sporting group. I am part of the University of Southampton's English society netball team, and have been since my first year (I am now in my third), and it has been a great way of making friends, keeping active and getting involved with a sport I love. The team has lots of socials and play against other IM teams that are made up of other academic societies or halls of residence teams. I love the fact that the IM team I joined does not require any try-outs, so everyone is truly welcome and will be given the opportunity to play regardless of experience. The whole dynamic is really supportive, friendly and fun, so I would really recommend having a look into IM and exploring the options available at your university!

I hope this helped.

Oooh thats a good idea! I know my degree has a netball team but havent heard of any others yet but I will look around, thanks. My degree is pretty male dominated though so I dont know how many people would go for it?
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

I hope this helped.

I also worry about only making friends within my subject that way.
I also worry about only making friends within my subject that way.

Hi,

This is a completely understandable concern! However, rest assured that these teams are usually open to everyone, not just to those studying the subject. On the English society team we have people studying English, Law, Linguistics, Education and Nursing, and other academic teams at Southampton stress that absolutely anyone can join. I'd recommend having a look at the Student's Union page to see what is available, there will most likely be lots of sports with IM teams and not all will be a strand of an academic society. :smile:

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep)
Anon, you could try ultimate frisbee?

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
My options are:

I guess try these sports out for yourself and see what fits you best?

When in doubt, try it for yourself
Original post by Muttly

I agree, although being good at a sport does help your social life at uni
My options are:

The more “extreme” side of sports are good and always pretty accepting of most everybody I had never climbed before uni but i went and gave it go the people were so friendly and supportive that It didn’t matter i had never done it before I rally enjoyed that.

As skier I‘m probably slightly biased it’s pretty easy to start up your own society at uni so why not start a Ski and Snowboard one. You could see if the local snow dome will sponger you or if you can get cheaper prices for group bookings (particually lessons for these that haven’t done it before do a trip during the christian or easter break we usually went the week before Easter the boat on the way back and there was almost exclusively students so it was a really cool atmosphere.

Do you know why the Ski society got banned? I met one guy who was a rep while he was till at uni actually at UoM (obviously repped in the breaks) any way he was repping for UoM ski and snowboard within about 2 days in resort the y were so rowdy’s boss told him to cancel the trip (so they got sent home. (I suspect things might have been bit strained for him on the way home. (That is exceptional though it’s never usually that bad people are reasonable usually.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending