The Student Room Group

University of york freshers week

I'll be a new fresher starting uni of york in September and was wondering what events you recommend attending during freshers week. I've never been out clubbing so was wondering if I need to buy club tickets like a week in advance or if I could buy it on the week itself. Also what advice do you have for me during freshers and first year uni in general
Hi,

You should attend ANY of the events that interest you! You will most likely have a lot of free time in the first two or three weeks after moving in / or before classes start. You don't have to join each one you attend. I attended a club and decided it wasn't for me but I made a lifelong friend that way. You might not join all of them, but it's definitely worth trying to go to any that interest you.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll be a new fresher starting uni of york in September and was wondering what events you recommend attending during freshers week. I've never been out clubbing so was wondering if I need to buy club tickets like a week in advance or if I could buy it on the week itself. Also what advice do you have for me during freshers and first year uni in general

Hi!

I hope you are looking forward to joining us soon!

Freshers' tickets go on sale in ten days but I imagine most events won't sell out straight away and you'll be able to decide nearer the time what you want to do. When I started at York after my place and my accommodation was confirmed, I connected with people on my course/in my accommodation on social media and we discussed what events to buy tickets to. We bought tickets to one of the big events in advance of starting at uni, but smaller events we decided on the day!

They do things differently every year so I'm not sure what they will do this year, but for my Freshers', you bought a wristband that allowed you into all club events so you could decide on the day which club nights you wanted to go to. I'd suggest checking the YUSU website in ten days for details on the events when they are confirmed.

I'd recommend going to a variety of events as it's not just about clubbing! I found even just going round the Freshers' Fair and joining new societies with my flatmates was a good way of meeting new people and spending time with new flatmates. Most societies offer taster sessions for free so it's fun to just try new things! There are also events like comedy nights and quizzes so there's something for everyone.

Your college will also put on a series of Welcome Week events. Once you get your accommodation offer and find out your college, you can go to their page on the website and find out more about the sort of things on offer. You should also get emails with this info. For me, it was things like a tour of the city, how to get to local supermarkets like Aldi and Morrisons and various socials like quizzes and BBQ mixers.

Your department will also put on some events - mine did a welcome session and it was a great way to meet and mingle with new coursemates before any lectures started.

Basically, there will be absolutely loads going on! But there's no pressure to do everything. You will find a flow with your flatmates/coursemates and it will all just happen naturally. I remember worrying about a lot of things in advance but as soon as I arrived and actually met people, it felt like everything just fell into place. I didn't go out clubbing very often and instead found friends that preferred to do movie nights and more chill socials. No matter what you like doing, you will find people who are similar!

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions!

Hazel :smile:
Reply 4

Hi! So I was a STYC (someone that helps you out during Freshers week and takes you clubbing) last year and will be one again this year! So all you'll need to do is buy your college's Freshers' Week wristband from the YUSU website once they've been announced (check your college's instagram for this). There's not too much stress on getting them straight away as they honestly aren't likely to sell out, and from my experience pretty much all of your housemates will have got the same one. The club nights have a fancy dress theme (no pressure to actually dress up, but can be a fun way to bond with your flat) and will often be joint with another college, e.g Halifax x James Jungle Party. If you have any more questions let me know :smile:
Reply 5

I had also never been clubbing before uni, so freshers can be the best time to see if you like it or not. Honestly I think it is better to buy a freshers wristband and then you have the choice of going out, rather than feeling a bit lonely watching your flatmates go out. However, if you decide you do hate clubbing, I promise one of your STYCS will make sure you get home safe. My biggest advice is to join a sports team even if you've never played sports before (trust me I hated PE haha), it is honestly the perfect way of meeting new people and having something to do when you're bored or stressed. York has so so many sports teams and during first term I would recommend just giving it a go and seeing if you like any. My biggest regret from first year was not joining a sports society. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by University of York
Hi!

I hope you are looking forward to joining us soon!

Freshers' tickets go on sale in ten days but I imagine most events won't sell out straight away and you'll be able to decide nearer the time what you want to do. When I started at York after my place and my accommodation was confirmed, I connected with people on my course/in my accommodation on social media and we discussed what events to buy tickets to. We bought tickets to one of the big events in advance of starting at uni, but smaller events we decided on the day!

They do things differently every year so I'm not sure what they will do this year, but for my Freshers', you bought a wristband that allowed you into all club events so you could decide on the day which club nights you wanted to go to. I'd suggest checking the YUSU website in ten days for details on the events when they are confirmed.

I'd recommend going to a variety of events as it's not just about clubbing! I found even just going round the Freshers' Fair and joining new societies with my flatmates was a good way of meeting new people and spending time with new flatmates. Most societies offer taster sessions for free so it's fun to just try new things! There are also events like comedy nights and quizzes so there's something for everyone.

Your college will also put on a series of Welcome Week events. Once you get your accommodation offer and find out your college, you can go to their page on the website and find out more about the sort of things on offer. You should also get emails with this info. For me, it was things like a tour of the city, how to get to local supermarkets like Aldi and Morrisons and various socials like quizzes and BBQ mixers.

Your department will also put on some events - mine did a welcome session and it was a great way to meet and mingle with new coursemates before any lectures started.

Basically, there will be absolutely loads going on! But there's no pressure to do everything. You will find a flow with your flatmates/coursemates and it will all just happen naturally. I remember worrying about a lot of things in advance but as soon as I arrived and actually met people, it felt like everything just fell into place. I didn't go out clubbing very often and instead found friends that preferred to do movie nights and more chill socials. No matter what you like doing, you will find people who are similar!

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions!

Hazel :smile:

If a clubbing event is part of your college schedule on Freshers week do I need to buy tickets for those clubbing events or can I gain entrance using my college freshers ticket?
Reply 7
No, you don't need to book or buy anything from the club. If you've bought the college freshers week ticket from YUSU you'll collect your wristband on move in day and that acts as your ticket to every club and event, so just remember to keep it on all week. If you have any more specific questions about clubbing you should ask your flat's STYCs or head STYCs for the college, they'll be more than happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending