The Student Room Group

How many hours a week is university?

A full time student how many hours per week do you study. 9-4pm?
Original post by Sufyl

University isn’t school lessons can finish as late as 7. Start time varies
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sufyl

Hi,

Contact hours at university vary from subject to subject, so it is best to consult your university's subject page to try and find more specific information. For example, however, I am an English student and in my first year had 12 contact hours a week. The rest of the time we were advised to spend reading, researching and writing our assignments. As a general rule, we were told that we should think of university as a 9-5 job, putting in 40 hours of work a week. Of course, the hours that you put in are flexible and do not have to be as strict as working 9-5 Monday to Friday; lots of students like working on the weekends!

I hope this helped.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by Sufyl

Hi!

It depends on what course and university you go to for your contact hours. I study a humanities subject and usually have around 12 hours per week contact time. Roughly 4 hours per module I do. However, I am currently doing my dissertation and have less contact time but I am doing more independent work. For the most part, I did my 12 hours contact time plus (give or take) and tried to treat university like a 9-5 job. Given that my dissertation is due soon, I am studying a lot more than I did in previous years.

I hope this helps,
Sara :smile:
Original post by Sufyl

Hello @Sufyl
As the other ambassadors have said it really does depend on your course. Some are lecture and contact time heavy and others only have a few hours a week.
I study history and law and each semester I had roughly 9 hours of on campus classes but A LOT of external study, reading and assignments. Although you are not technically timetabled at being at uni you are still expected to be studying but it is up to you how you divide the time. Friends studying Engineering and Sciences were very different to me as they were in 9-5 most days with labs, lectures and tutorials.
You should get a timetable closer to when you are due to start uni
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by Sufyl

Hey there @Sufyl !
This completely depends on your course. I study Media and my learning hours are completely spread out over the week. I usually end up with one day off a semester, sometimes two as it's a coursework based subject and a lot of it is reading outside the scheduled uni time. I have heard about some courses that do 9-5 learning with a break in the middle but can't with certainty say which ones those are. Usually for a regular course in a week you will have one lecture and one seminar for every module you have to take. Lectures are usually shorter and seminars are longer as they're a smaller group and it's more focused learning.

Outside of the lectures I usually do two hours of work every couple of days. This is purely because my course is assessed on coursework and I imagine if it was exam based that I'd be doing a lot more. When deadlines are approaching, the workload goes up and at present I'm doing around four hours of work a day. Usually in a regular week I have my scheduled teaching time, an essential reading a week for each module and any catch up to do. There's no set time I have to do this, I'll just make sure that if it was set in the lecture that I've done it before the seminar later in the week.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending