The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes or Kingston

I got a conditional offer for Oxford Brookes and Kingston to study architecture but I'm not sure which one to choose as my firm choice, what do you recommend?
Original post by SHO12
I got a conditional offer for Oxford Brookes and Kingston to study architecture but I'm not sure which one to choose as my firm choice, what do you recommend?

Only you can make that decision (and you don't have to make it until June so take your time). Things to consider:

The course content and teaching approach
Look through the modules again and think about whether the course structure, learning style and opportunities are right for you. Are there overseas fieldtrips, who will teach you and what are their areas of expertise and interest, links with architectural practices, etc. Search for the end-of-year show for both unis to see examples of the work being produced, and see if students' work is represented in the RIBA Presidents Medals Students Awards.

https://www.presidentsmedals.com/

Travel, accommodation and living costs
Consider distance from home and compare costs for each city and availability of accommodation (look at costs for halls in first year and private student lets for years 2 & 3).

Social life
Do the unis have a good range of societies/clubs that meet your interests? Do the cities appeal to you in terms of entertainment, sports facilities, green space, etc.

If you can, go to the offer-holder days to have another look around the facilities, and to ask current students and lecturers about the course, the accommodation, the city, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending