The Student Room Group

Dating apps advice?

Hi guys, so I came out of a 4 year relationship one year ago, and am feeling a bit low because of the loneliness. I was cheated on and didn’t want it to end. I’ve recently left uni and have also found it hard meeting new friends which makes it extra hard, I just miss the companionship and having someone there with me through life. I thought I met a really good guy this past year but he ended up ghosting me after almost a year of friendship which makes me feel like crap all over again.

I’m seriously considering trying a dating app, but have no idea what I’m doing haha. There’s stigma in my family against using dating apps too. What are some things to consider when using dating apps? I know there’s so many different apps out there like Bumble, Tinder and Hinge etc, but what are the differences between these and which one would I be most likely to find a genuine connection? I don’t want one night stands or flings, I really want to find someone that I could potentially spend the rest of my life with. Or do people not really look for that anymore?

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I’ve said, I was in a 4 year relationship and I have not been single since I was 18 so have no idea how to date anymore
I went through a very similar thing and it's super hard and intimidating to get yourself back into the dating scene. But once you've been on it for a couple of weeks/months it starts to feel normal and not quite so daunting.

I found hinge to be my favourite out of all the apps, I personally think that's where you get people who are looking for something more serious.

You can get a feel for what someone's like over a couple of messages and if you're not feeling it you have absolutely no obligations to reply.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m seriously considering trying a dating app, but have no idea what I’m doing haha. There’s stigma in my family against using dating apps too. What are some things to consider when using dating apps? I know there’s so many different apps out there like Bumble, Tinder and Hinge etc, but what are the differences between these and which one would I be most likely to find a genuine connection? I don’t want one night stands or flings, I really want to find someone that I could potentially spend the rest of my life with. Or do people not really look for that anymore?

Well I'm no expert at online dating or dating apps, but I DO KNOW that the Bumble and Tinder are more hook-up orientated. You may eventually meet someone if you can be asked to sieve through the endless d**k pics you'll almost certainly receive.

As you've specifically said you don't want one night stands of flings, you may want to consider apps that are more relationship orientated, such as Match.com or Plenty of Fish or those kind of ones. Oh, and if you're serious about looking for someone, it's often worth paying for the premium services.

Apart from that, take the usual precautions when meeting someone off the Internet (e.g. meet in a public place for the 1st time; tell someone where you're going etc. etc.)

Have you thought about joining something like an evening class?
Honestly, none. I’ve been on Tinder, bumble and hinge for about 8 months now and I’ve never met anyone in person from them because the convos either go nowhere or the guys end up ghosting me because they’re all looking for hookups. I don’t know if it’s just a location issue because I’ve tried them in my uni city and I’ve found the guys on there to be a bit more genuine, but when I’m at home literally every swipe is guys looking for fwb and tbh my home city doesn’t have a great reputation so that’s not that surprising haha.

I would say I’ve had some more genuine convos on Hinge but good luck finding anyone who is genuine and actually wants to meet you for anything other than a hookup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending