The Student Room Group

UoN Computer Science or UoM Chemical Engineering?

I have gotten offers for both of these courses, and I’m really lost as to which I should go to.

I feel that Comp Sci will create a more beneficial career (of course I plan to work on projects and get internships) as I have seen everyone saying about how dead the job industry for Chemical Engineering is. I am aware than you can go onto other careers with a ChemEng degree, but I have been told that I will have little spare time to focus on the other area due to the course’s massive work load.

However, it feels wrong to just throw away to opportunity to go to UoM as it is a more prestigious uni than UoN, and I feel it may be able to land me a better graduate role outside of ChemE (e.g. Finance) due to its prestige.

I’ve been to and love both the cities, and I have interest in both courses.

Please say what you think about my dilemma to help me make up my mind. Thanks :smile:
Original post by 183727j
I have gotten offers for both of these courses, and I’m really lost as to which I should go to.

I feel that Comp Sci will create a more beneficial career (of course I plan to work on projects and get internships) as I have seen everyone saying about how dead the job industry for Chemical Engineering is. I am aware than you can go onto other careers with a ChemEng degree, but I have been told that I will have little spare time to focus on the other area due to the course’s massive work load.

However, it feels wrong to just throw away to opportunity to go to UoM as it is a more prestigious uni than UoN, and I feel it may be able to land me a better graduate role outside of ChemE (e.g. Finance) due to its prestige.

Please say what you think about my dilemma to help me make up my mind. Thanks :smile:

Hi !

First of all congratulations on getting those offers . I'm currently a second year Chemical Engineering student from Lancaster University . I would say when I first applied I had the same concerns as you ,however in terms of the job prospects for Chemical Engineering ,I wouldnt say its dead just yet .It really depends on which part of the industry you would like to venture into .For example ,I did my internship in first year in an automotive paint industry and they're really keen on getting graduates to join their grad scheme .Yes ,you can go into other careers through a Chemical Engineering degree but its the skillsets gained from completing the degree is what will help if you do decide to go into a different careers other than ChemEng .In terms of workload , I would say it is manageable as long as you have good self discipline and to really plan your work out ,this goes for any other degree as well . My advice would definitely be to pick the course first over the university ,as this would be what you would have to put a lot of effort in .Computer Science is a good course as well but if its not something you can see yourself doing in the future then I would best advice to not put yourself in that position. Hope this helps !

Yamini
Lancaster Uni FST Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Bump
Original post by 183727j

Computer science because it seems to align more with your preferred career choices. Provided you back it up by actually knowing to how to code, it's a much better subject for career opportunities since there is a big demand for tech/software roles. I'm not sure if many people would actually consider Manchester more prestigious than Nottingham - or care all that much.
Original post by Smack
Computer science because it seems to align more with your preferred career choices. Provided you back it up by actually knowing to how to code, it's a much better subject for career opportunities since there is a big demand for tech/software roles. I'm not sure if many people would actually consider Manchester more prestigious than Nottingham - or care all that much.

Is the prestige really that negligible between them? I see that Manchester ranks much higher than Nottingham both internationally and nationally so surely that would indicate that Manchester is much more prestigious?
Original post by dondonj
Is the prestige really that negligible between them? I see that Manchester ranks much higher than Nottingham both internationally and nationally so surely that would indicate that Manchester is much more prestigious?

The rankings don't matter. They fluctuate yearly and vary between different sources (I'm sure Nottingham has been higher than Manchester at times).
Original post by Smack
The rankings don't matter. They fluctuate yearly and vary between different sources (I'm sure Nottingham has been higher than Manchester at times).

Ah I see. Would Notts or Manchester be better in securing a graduate job or does it not matter?
Original post by dondonj
Ah I see. Would Notts or Manchester be better in securing a graduate job or does it not matter?

Can't see it making a difference. They're both pretty solid universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending