The Student Room Group

Economy

Do hlidays reduce gdp growth????
Original post by Gdps1

If you live in a country without a thriving tourist industry which attracts overseas visitors and only export your own population to other countries tourist destinations, then quite likely.
Original post by uberteknik
If you live in a country without a thriving tourist industry which attracts overseas visitors and only export your own population to other countries tourist destinations, then quite likely.

Uk has thriving tourist industry...but during platinum jubilee,economy falls....probably uk is too much dependent on financial servicies...am i not right???
Original post by username6110587
Uk has thriving tourist industry...but during platinum jubilee,economy falls....probably uk is too much dependent on financial servicies...am i not right???

The recovery of the pandemic for the rest of the world had much to do with it. UK spearheaded exit from Covid and opening up the borders.whilst other countries still remained closed. You cannot t attribute the fall in GDP exclusively on tourism.

It depends and while the currency of a prosperous economy may be blood and tears, morale and ‘health’ are important factors when considering human capital. The question is of if holidays provide enough motivation and rest to the people in an economy to outsource lost productivity on that day with increased innovation and productivity the next or through other unseen implications which will catalyse economic growth such as in the public spending hike around Christmas. It is dependent on the nature of the holiday and cultural precepts surrounding it, your question serves as a wonderful example on the intricacies of economics and of how this subject millennia old and ubiquitous in our daily lives can yet be shrouded in such uncertainty.

I mean, how would you even go about quantifying this, survey employers? That’ll be very unreliable and it is not as if we have access to infinite worlds through which we could perfectly observe the impacts on similar economies given the removal of a certain holiday, would damn sure be convenient.

Personally, I am lead to believe that as with most things in an economy, government controls over complicate matters and that public holidays generally bog down economic output (with of course the exception of those deep rooted in culture). We should follow the rules dictated to us by the free market. If an employee is willing to take however many days off and an employer is willing to allow those days off, it is an optimal outcome.

Nonetheless, this is a very fascinating question, wouldn’t be surprised if it were the topic of some essay competition.
Original post by uberteknik

Really, I’d argue that you’re plunging into the fallacy of irrelevant reasons...

I think that’s looking into only just the short-run impact, government spending is at a high during jubilee...

Quick Reply

Latest