The Student Room Group

What can i do to get ahead?

I'm a year 10 student studying for my gcses, I'm predicted 8s and 9s in all my subjects and I want to know what to do to excel even more and secure my place in a competitive uni and eventually a good career? I know I sound impatient but I want to do as best as I possibly can :dance: :dance:
Original post by tryhardgigs
I'm a year 10 student studying for my gcses, I'm predicted 8s and 9s in all my subjects and I want to know what to do to excel even more and secure my place in a competitive uni and eventually a good career? I know I sound impatient but I want to do as best as I possibly can :dance: :dance:

Get all 9s and some distinctions
Go to summer school (preferably of the university you want to attend) —> Figure out a way to get a scholarship you aren’t financially fortunate
Go to events and attend lectures related to your field of chosen study or some other subject which exhibits your ‘intellectual curiosity’
Get relevant or not so relevant but still relevant as you linked what you learned with your chosen field of study work experience
Bring innovation regarding chosen field of study (start a club or magazine relating to it)
Enter essay competitions (related to your field of chosen study)
Win essay competitions (related to your field of chosen study)
Do volunteer work
Appear on national television
Study A-Levels
Study your university course (to gain a deeper insight)
Create a startup
Become an eminent author
Become an essay wizard
Read a library (seriously)
Become an Olympiad Champion
Do something outrageous (positive)

You are starkly mistaken to think that you are impatient or precocious in any way. The people at top universities (Oxbridge) start from secondary school. You are not years ahead, you are years behind.
Original post by Ineffable-
Get all 9s and some distinctions
Go to summer school (preferably of the university you want to attend) —> Figure out a way to get a scholarship you aren’t financially fortunate
Go to events and attend lectures related to your field of chosen study or some other subject which exhibits your ‘intellectual curiosity’
Get relevant or not so relevant but still relevant as you linked what you learned with your chosen field of study work experience
Bring innovation regarding chosen field of study (start a club or magazine relating to it)
Enter essay competitions (related to your field of chosen study)
Win essay competitions (related to your field of chosen study)
Do volunteer work
Appear on national television
Study A-Levels
Study your university course (to gain a deeper insight)
Create a startup
Become an eminent author
Become an essay wizard
Read a library (seriously)
Become an Olympiad Champion
Do something outrageous (positive)

You are starkly mistaken to think that you are impatient or precocious in any way. The people at top universities (Oxbridge) start from secondary school. You are not years ahead, you are years behind.

Thanks.
Original post by tryhardgigs

Heya!
Well done on your predicted grades, keep up the good work! I would recommend doing some extra reading and possibly looking into what you want to do in the future and which unis you want to go to :h: People tend to do extracurricular activities such as volunteering and etc to stay competitive as well, but first, think about what you want to do later on and what extracurricular activities you can do around the subject.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind

Quick Reply

Latest