The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Missed accepting accommodation offer

I failed to accept an offer of a room in Glen Eyre within the 5 days required. So gutted. Just wondered if anyone can please give me an idea of my chance of getting a room in halls in September. I will be a fresher. The accommodation office advised me to look privately but am worried about not being with all the other freshers. Is there a way of applying late again or going on a waiting list or something? Thank you.
Original post by Ellie237
I failed to accept an offer of a room in Glen Eyre within the 5 days required. So gutted. Just wondered if anyone can please give me an idea of my chance of getting a room in halls in September. I will be a fresher. The accommodation office advised me to look privately but am worried about not being with all the other freshers. Is there a way of applying late again or going on a waiting list or something? Thank you.

Are you firming Southampton? People will miss their offers .. it's very early to be offering accommodation.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Are you firming Southampton? People will miss their offers .. it's very early to be offering accommodation.

Hi, thanks. Yes Southampton is my first choice. I had also thought that, but I can’t see anything which says that I will have another chance to apply for halls. The portal doesn’t allow me to apply again. And the accommodation office only pointed me towards private accommodation.
Hi, thanks. Yes Southampton is my first choice. I had also thought that, but I can’t see anything which says that I will have another chance to apply for halls. The portal doesn’t allow me to apply again. And the accommodation office only pointed me towards private accommodation.

You need to ask what happens when people miss offers - most unis guarantee first years a place in hall.
Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about this!

Can I just ask - how is it that the accommodation team told you to look privately? Was it in a generated response to your missed deadline or have you spoken personally to one of the team? If you haven't spoken with one of the team I would highly recommend contacting them to see if there is any way they can help further - such as by finding out how likely you are to get another offer or whether there are other rooms available. You can contact them by email here: [email protected] or by phone here: +44 (0)23 80 595959.

If you do end up having to look for private halls, rest assured that a lot of students do end up living there and that you won't be the only one! There are also many different private halls, at varying distances from the uni and with different amenities etc.. Also, it doesn't mean you will have to stay there forever! Most second years tend to move into private housing with course mates/halls friends so you will still have the chance to do that!

That being said, I would really recommend contacting the accommodation team again, if you haven't already!
Hope this helps :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Hi there, thank you for your response.

Yes, I have spoken directly to the accommodation office. They were very polite, but ultimately said that their hands were tied.

They said that I have no chance now of getting a place in halls, that all spare places will go to those who get in on their insurance offer or in clearing. and there is no waiting list. I have looked at private halls but they are all fully booked or the rooms that are left are very expensive.

I acknowledge I made a mistake. But I only missed the deadline by one day. I feel like this is quite harsh for a would-be fresher who had Southampton as a first choice.

There is only a five day window within which you can accept your offer. This is at a time when people are studying very hard for A-levels, I certainly am. The offer email does state that there is a five day window for acceptance, but it is not particularly prominent within the body of the email and is easily missed.
There is no reminder for when the period has nearly expired.

It’s very very strict!
Hi there, thank you for your response.

Yes, I have spoken directly to the accommodation office. They were very polite, but ultimately said that their hands were tied.

They said that I have no chance now of getting a place in halls, that all spare places will go to those who get in on their insurance offer or in clearing. and there is no waiting list. I have looked at private halls but they are all fully booked or the rooms that are left are very expensive.

I acknowledge I made a mistake. But I only missed the deadline by one day. I feel like this is quite harsh for a would-be fresher who had Southampton as a first choice.

There is only a five day window within which you can accept your offer. This is at a time when people are studying very hard for A-levels, I certainly am. The offer email does state that there is a five day window for acceptance, but it is not particularly prominent within the body of the email and is easily missed.
There is no reminder for when the period has nearly expired.

It’s very very strict!

I wouldn't give up. Have you only spoken to the student hub? Email the accommodation email and make your case. Say what you have just said, that expense may preclude you from attending, although you appreciate you missed the deadline, it was one day, stress and anxiety it is causing in the run up to A-Levels and at this satge they cannot have run out of accommodation. Were you in the middle of mocks?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn't give up. Have you only spoken to the student hub? Email the accommodation email and make your case. Say what you have just said, that expense may preclude you from attending, although you appreciate you missed the deadline, it was one day, stress and anxiety it is causing in the run up to A-Levels and at this satge they cannot have run out of accommodation. Were you in the middle of mocks?

Thank you that’s kind advice. I’ll try as you suggest. I have yes just been corresponding with the student hub. I don’t hold out much hope though as they had said they had already asked the ‘occupancy team’. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending