The Student Room Group

sheffield vs bristol for biology??

I've only been to Bristol so far, and I love the modules, city, bio department, and the fact that its close to London, however my offer is AAA, while in mocks I've been getting ABB-BBB.

On the other hand I love the modules at Sheffield, however its less prestigious than Bristol and further away from London. But Sheffield has several field trips and a museum, while I don't think Bristol has either. My offer is AAB.

Can anyone studying at either Bristol or Sheffield (or Reading since thats my insurance) advise me?
What is life like in these cities? How is the diversity (female:male, public school educated, racial) in the bio department/uni in general? how common is drug use (just curious)?

I like the outdoors so the fact that Sheffield is close to the peak district is a major plus. I don't like going out too much so I don't need a busy city. :sheep:
Judging from your predicted grades, Sheffield would be a better choice as long as you don’t feel strongly against it or unless you’ve already set your heart on Bristol. The fact that Sheffield is less close to London might be a blessing in disguise since for some, that means less distractions from their studies, and im sure the outdoor environment there is absolutely wonderful x :smile:
Original post by meowzzi
Judging from your predicted grades, Sheffield would be a better choice as long as you don’t feel strongly against it or unless you’ve already set your heart on Bristol. The fact that Sheffield is less close to London might be a blessing in disguise since for some, that means less distractions from their studies, and im sure the outdoor environment there is absolutely wonderful x :smile:

Thank you for your response, the reason I want to be close to London is because my family lives there, but to be honest Sheffield is only about an hour (by train/car) further from London than Bristol, so it’s not too bad.
Original post by floppyfish
I've only been to Bristol so far, and I love the modules, city, bio department, and the fact that its close to London, however my offer is AAA, while in mocks I've been getting ABB-BBB.

On the other hand I love the modules at Sheffield, however its less prestigious than Bristol and further away from London. But Sheffield has several field trips and a museum, while I don't think Bristol has either. My offer is AAB.

Can anyone studying at either Bristol or Sheffield (or Reading since thats my insurance) advise me?
What is life like in these cities? How is the diversity (female:male, public school educated, racial) in the bio department/uni in general? how common is drug use (just curious)?

I like the outdoors so the fact that Sheffield is close to the peak district is a major plus. I don't like going out too much so I don't need a busy city. :sheep:

Hey!
Sheffield and Bristol are both great cities, I have been to Bristol a few times and have friends there and I am currently studying in Sheffield. Sheffield is a very outdoorsy city, with lots of parks, climbing centres and the peak district so close, there are lost of outdoorsy people in the city, it is also very safe. Sheffield is a very diverse city, and from what I've heard there are less private school educated students than Bristol. The University is also very diverse and inclusivity is a core value of the University. It terms of drug use - I think it is pretty common in most major cities - but there are plenty of students in Sheffield who do not use drugs. One big difference is the price, Sheffield is much cheaper than Bristol - especially accommodation - so consider this as a factor too. I would not worry so much about the prestige of the University, it will not make a big difference in the long-run. Just choose somewhere where you would like to live and a course you will enjoy! it sounds like they are both great options, so either way I am sure you'll have a great time.
Evie (4th year medic at Uos)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending