The Student Room Group

Taking further maths after I've done my other 4 a levels

im taking biology chemistry physics and mathematics as my a levels im 16 in year 12 right now. i got an 8-8 in combined science GCSE and a 9 in maths GCSE. At the start of the year wanted to take Further Maths but because I ballsed up an introductory test that I didn't revise for i got around 56%. Anyway I looked through the answers and found out she actually marked 10 of the questions incorrectly (put through the computer and everything), I asked her to remark the test but she refused, calling me arrogant for underestimating her ability as a teacher. The further maths teacher called me about the incorrect results on my test, long story short the bald prick told me to **** off because he thought I wasn't any good despite my 9 grade and I had to take biology as a fallback subject because it fit with the rest of them. Its been about 8 months now since I've been in sixth form and I have predicted As in all 4 subjects including maths based off of topic tests + Easter mocks. i really want further maths as an a level and I'm heavily considering going back and doing it after I get my a levels, which im sure ill do good on as long as i revise enough. tbh I don't really have a social life so I spend most of my day studying and going to the gym so I'd have more than enough free time when I'm 18 to take on further maths even if it is incredibly difficult, math is my favorite subject and I study further maths topics like complex numbers and further math trig (hyperbolic functions etc.) outside of school for fun anyway. I have literally no idea what I want to do with my future but the top contenders are uni physics/engineering, uni math or uni chemistry whatever earns the most money. is further maths a big deal enough for me to go back and spend another 1/2 years after sixth form for the a level (like online courses, using the textbook to selfstudy etc.)?
If you are studying by yourself presumably you could do it in a year? Lots of schools do FM in a year after standard maths A level for one year. Good to see someone considering this route - depending on what you might study at university it sounds well worth investigating.
Original post by ashton435532
im taking biology chemistry physics and mathematics as my a levels im 16 in year 12 right now. i got an 8-8 in combined science GCSE and a 9 in maths GCSE. At the start of the year wanted to take Further Maths but because I ballsed up an introductory test that I didn't revise for i got around 56%. Anyway I looked through the answers and found out she actually marked 10 of the questions incorrectly (put through the computer and everything), I asked her to remark the test but she refused, calling me arrogant for underestimating her ability as a teacher. The further maths teacher called me about the incorrect results on my test, long story short the bald prick told me to **** off because he thought I wasn't any good despite my 9 grade and I had to take biology as a fallback subject because it fit with the rest of them. Its been about 8 months now since I've been in sixth form and I have predicted As in all 4 subjects including maths based off of topic tests + Easter mocks. i really want further maths as an a level and I'm heavily considering going back and doing it after I get my a levels, which im sure ill do good on as long as i revise enough. tbh I don't really have a social life so I spend most of my day studying and going to the gym so I'd have more than enough free time when I'm 18 to take on further maths even if it is incredibly difficult, math is my favorite subject and I study further maths topics like complex numbers and further math trig (hyperbolic functions etc.) outside of school for fun anyway. I have literally no idea what I want to do with my future but the top contenders are uni physics/engineering, uni math or uni chemistry whatever earns the most money. is further maths a big deal enough for me to go back and spend another 1/2 years after sixth form for the a level (like online courses, using the textbook to selfstudy etc.)?

Hi,

I'm a third year Maths student at Lancaster and thought I would share my experience. While I did do Further Maths A-Level it is not a requirement for Lancaster so there were many people in my year who hadn't covered any of that materials before. The first modules included most of the content from Further Maths A-Level (although it was presented in a different way to at A-Level!) so everyone was brought up to speed quickly. As it sounds like you already have an interest in the further maths content and have looked into it yourself I'm sure you would be able to pick this up well! Of course, there are many universities that do require further maths for their maths degree so if you want to pursue maths at uni the A-level may be something you want to look into.

However, Physics and Chemistry degrees don't tend to require further maths so it's definitely not necessary to go back and study it if you chose those paths (unless you would like to)!

Here is some more info about the maths course at Lancaster if you are interested! I hope this has helped.

- Florence (Lancaster student ambassador)

Can't you swap/drop bio for FM (despite what your teacher says)? Other than that, i pretty much have no advice though.

Could you look into doing further maths somewhere as an external candidate? You would have to teach yourself but sounds like you are already capable of it anyway. Its worth looking into doing it this september (in year 13). You might be able to do it in a year.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I'm a third year Maths student at Lancaster and thought I would share my experience. While I did do Further Maths A-Level it is not a requirement for Lancaster so there were many people in my year who hadn't covered any of that materials before. The first modules included most of the content from Further Maths A-Level (although it was presented in a different way to at A-Level!) so everyone was brought up to speed quickly. As it sounds like you already have an interest in the further maths content and have looked into it yourself I'm sure you would be able to pick this up well! Of course, there are many universities that do require further maths for their maths degree so if you want to pursue maths at uni the A-level may be something you want to look into.

However, Physics and Chemistry degrees don't tend to require further maths so it's definitely not necessary to go back and study it if you chose those paths (unless you would like to)!

Here is some more info about the maths course at Lancaster if you are interested! I hope this has helped.

- Florence (Lancaster student ambassador)

Thank you so much for reaching out. But over the last few months my interest in mathematics has significantly decreased (ability stayed the same) but my interest in physics, chemistry and even biology has increased, so I don't think changing my subjects to further maths is a good idea, as it is not as crucial for the sciences, I will be better off demonstrating my passion and knowledge of extracurricular maths relevant to whatever degree I take. Again thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply

Latest