The Student Room Group

Stanford / USC / Berkeley for game programming and development?

Hi everyone! Recently, I received offers from Stanford (probably majoring in Computer Science), USC (Thornton Dual Degree Program - BMus Music Production and BS Computer Science (Games)) and Berkeley (EECS). I have been very interested in game programming and development and would probably pursue a career in the gaming industry after graduating. I'm nevertheless debating on these three unis, due to a few reasons:

Stanford - has the best reputation and teacher quality amongst the trio, located exactly in Silicon Valley (famous for technological and computational businesses), but there's no major / minor which tailors my interest in game programming.

USC - best tailoring of my interests (dual degree at Thornton with music production and game programming), however reputation wise it's not that decent. also heard that students there judge others from their financing ability and status?

Berkeley - decent reputation in the engineering / technology field, but similar to Stanford, it does not provide a tailored degree regarding game development and programming. seems that it has great research on computer science lately, which fascinates me though

In short, which school should I choose? Any advice would be appreciated.

fyi my qualifications:
a levels - math, FM, phy, CS, music (A*A*A*A*A*)
sat - 1580 / 1600 (superscore)
sat ii subject tests - m2 (800), phy (780)
trinity - LTCL Distinction (Piano), ATCL Merit (Violin)
Probably whichever is giving you the best financial aid package.
thanks for your advice! I'm sorry that I forgot to note this down but tuition fee-wise, both Stanford and USC seem to have the most ideal package (free tuition throughout my undergraduate studies from scholarship and financial aid respectively!) this leads to my ultimate struggle of Stanford vs USC :frown: (and that's why I created a thread for this!)
Reply 3
That's a hard one. I can totally understand your dilemma cuz i'm also a game + music fanatic.
I'd choose Stanford. In my opinion game programming is a subset of cs. With a cs degree you can choose to work in either the gaming industry or other companies like FANNG. cs (games) is definitely tailored for game programming, but there could be some barriers when you want to switch to a wider cs career. It's wise to leave some space for changes. Plus, it's Stanford that we're talking about.
But after all, it's really up to you. If you are super firm about your future career as a game developer and you prefer USC's atmosphere to the rest, go to USC. Just try not to regret your choice.
I'm admitted to interactive media & game development in USC and also want to transfer to cs (games), by the way.
Original post by beigoo
That's a hard one. I can totally understand your dilemma cuz i'm also a game + music fanatic.
I'd choose Stanford. In my opinion game programming is a subset of cs. With a cs degree you can choose to work in either the gaming industry or other companies like FANNG. cs (games) is definitely tailored for game programming, but there could be some barriers when you want to switch to a wider cs career. It's wise to leave some space for changes. Plus, it's Stanford that we're talking about.
But after all, it's really up to you. If you are super firm about your future career as a game developer and you prefer USC's atmosphere to the rest, go to USC. Just try not to regret your choice.
I'm admitted to interactive media & game development in USC and also want to transfer to cs (games), by the way.

tysmmm for your reply! yes, Stanford's reputation, geographical location and the course content itself are basically undefeatable from the trio. It's also true that a more general major like comp sci provides a lot more career opportunities than a specialized one like game programming. however, I'm very into music performance and production as well (that's why I applied to the USC dual-degree program! also, I thought music production correlates well with game development e.g., the audio music and sound effect really matter when it comes to games like battles or wars). yet, my parents don't really support reading game programming at USC and suggest that I could study a minor in music apart from a major in comp sci at Stanford. maybe the advice made by my parents would best suit me both in terms of hobby and career prospects, and I could study for a master's in game development at USC if I was still passionate about it four years later? thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
tysmmm for your reply! yes, Stanford's reputation, geographical location and the course content itself are basically undefeatable from the trio. It's also true that a more general major like comp sci provides a lot more career opportunities than a specialized one like game programming. however, I'm very into music performance and production as well (that's why I applied to the USC dual-degree program! also, I thought music production correlates well with game development e.g., the audio music and sound effect really matter when it comes to games like battles or wars). yet, my parents don't really support reading game programming at USC and suggest that I could study a minor in music apart from a major in comp sci at Stanford. maybe the advice made by my parents would best suit me both in terms of hobby and career prospects, and I could study for a master's in game development at USC if I was still passionate about it four years later? thanks!

That's the most perfect academic pathway i can ever think of for a future game designer. And i'm sure that anyone getting full scholarship from both Stanford and USC will definitely ace their future. Best of luck!!
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for your advice! I'm sorry that I forgot to note this down but tuition fee-wise, both Stanford and USC seem to have the most ideal package (free tuition throughout my undergraduate studies from scholarship and financial aid respectively!) this leads to my ultimate struggle of Stanford vs USC :frown: (and that's why I created a thread for this!)

Well USC is definitely kind of known as "the place where rich kids of Hollywood types go to college" so if hanging out with that kind of crowd would make you feel uncomfortable, worth considering. However it is well known for placing graduates into those "media" industries - the creators of ThatGameCompany went there for example, and lots of people involved in the film industry (including e.g. VFX/SFX) end up spending time there. However, you could well achieve this by doing a masters there rather than an undergrad I imagine. Also has the distinct disadvantage of being in LA :tongue:

Stanford is Stanford. It's the archetypal example of the college to silicon valley/"tech startup" pipeline. Not sure how much they have in terms of video game related stuff but you may well be able to tailor your studies towards that through e.g. minors, project work, self-directed projects and so on. Note they also have other majors that may be of interest related to CS, like their symbolic systems programme. You can also double major if you want to (although that involves a lot more work than a joint honours programme in the UK - although probably a bit less than a double degree programme as at USC) so you do have additional flexibility from that.

I note you only mention financial aid in terms of tuition fees - you will also need to pay room and board though, which can often be expensive! In the US, unlike the UK, you're usually expected to live in university accommodation for the entire degree (although in both cases I doubt living out of accommodation would save you much money as they're both in very expensive areas). Definitely consider this because you don't want to accept and offer then realise you can't actually afford to take it up!
Original post by beigoo
That's the most perfect academic pathway i can ever think of for a future game designer. And i'm sure that anyone getting full scholarship from both Stanford and USC will definitely ace their future. Best of luck!!

wow, thanks for your kind words! :biggrin: would probably go for Stanford hahah
Original post by artful_lounger
Well USC is definitely kind of known as "the place where rich kids of Hollywood types go to college" so if hanging out with that kind of crowd would make you feel uncomfortable, worth considering. However it is well known for placing graduates into those "media" industries - the creators of ThatGameCompany went there for example, and lots of people involved in the film industry (including e.g. VFX/SFX) end up spending time there. However, you could well achieve this by doing a masters there rather than an undergrad I imagine. Also has the distinct disadvantage of being in LA :tongue:

Stanford is Stanford. It's the archetypal example of the college to silicon valley/"tech startup" pipeline. Not sure how much they have in terms of video game related stuff but you may well be able to tailor your studies towards that through e.g. minors, project work, self-directed projects and so on. Note they also have other majors that may be of interest related to CS, like their symbolic systems programme. You can also double major if you want to (although that involves a lot more work than a joint honours programme in the UK - although probably a bit less than a double degree programme as at USC) so you do have additional flexibility from that.

I note you only mention financial aid in terms of tuition fees - you will also need to pay room and board though, which can often be expensive! In the US, unlike the UK, you're usually expected to live in university accommodation for the entire degree (although in both cases I doubt living out of accommodation would save you much money as they're both in very expensive areas). Definitely consider this because you don't want to accept and offer then realise you can't actually afford to take it up!

thank you so much for your detailed reply! :biggrin: yepp I heard from some online forums that USC has an infamous reputation for students' behaviour and social background. personally won't really mind at all, but yes, I take your point - it could be negatively affecting my social life there, so it's definitely a factor for consideration (although the courses on game design and programming seem to be very appealing lol).

would probably accept Stanford's invitation and pursue a major in comp sci haha. the idea of learning a generalized, brief but rigorous overview of comp sci before (maybe) having a chance to specialize and work on projects in game programming is definitely worth considering. double majoring sounds great as well (as long as I can cope with the heavier workload :smile:)

regarding accommodation fares, it shouldn't be a big issue as I came from a middle-class family with a stable annual income. would probably go for Stanford then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending