The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL vs HKU for Biomedical sciences

So far, I have offers from KCL and HKU for biomedical sciences. Which one should I go? Since I am an international student, going to KCL will cost about 48000 pounds and going to HKU will cost about 36000 pounds. Which one is better considering the course and the price? My family is not that rich btw
Hi, honestly go to kcl. They have way better quality of lab and the course. And if your family can afford to go to HKU, then they can pay for KCL too. Also, you need 4 years to graduate from HKU, but only 3 years in KCL, so not a big difference. If you want a job that is globally well-known, then you should go to King’s, and they also offer you a work placement which is extremely helpful when you are looking for a job later on.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hi, I think KCL is better than HKU, because of the curriculum that they have. Also, the lab at King's is extremely good. And their research team is ranked top 3 in Europe. Students also have free access to some of the facilities. Since for biomedical sciences, you need a lot of practicals and research, KCL is better. In terms of money, I agree with the guy above and I know that people say living in London is very expensive, but Hong Kong is expensive as well, which would cost basically the same amount as London. Plus, if you can cook you can save huge amount of money. If your family can't afford for KCL, then they can't afford to go to HKU too. But since you are considering between KCL and HKU, I think your family can pay for it.
Umm, HKU is good university, but not as good as KCL, especially for your course. I also studied biomedical sciences, and it requires a lot of research and practicals, and that's why I recommend KCL, cuz they actually have a perfect lab. The choice is really up to you, but as people above and I said, KCL is better. btw, they offer a work placement as well, which will benefit you when you are looking for a job, or if you want to work at a researching organisation, you can choose to carry a research in your third year. I don't really see a benefit going to HKU rather than KCL apart from HKU being a bit cheaper by small amount
I am a Korean student who is currently studying at KCL. I love KCL so much cuz of the structure of the course. They are very well structured and they have a lot of high quality professors whom are globally known. I study chemistry, so I use the lab a lot, and the lab is very high quality. I saw some labs in Korean Universities and you cannot even compare them. For money, my family is like average ig, we call my family status silver-spoon if you get it. But my family is not that rich too, but they are doing alright back in Korea. And if you are worried about spending too much, you can always do some part-time jobs. For example, I am tutoring Korean students who studies IGCSE or A-level and that is my allowance basically. I don't really get money from my parents, since the amount of money I earn is enough. I also got offers from HKU and some Korean unis, but I think I made a right choice.

Quick Reply

Latest