The Student Room Group

Top universities

I achieved 97777666 and Merit (Engineering) in my GCSEs. I am now currently studying maths, further maths and physics at a level and would like now to could I get into the top universities with my GCSEs if I were to achieve something like A*A*A - A*A*A* + EPQ. I got the 66 in combined maths and I read on imperials website you need a 7, are they strict on this? I want to study maths at university. By top universities I’m talking about Warwick, Durham, LSE, Bath, Manchester. Is Oxbridge long gone? Thanks
Original post by Safwan321
I achieved 97777666 and Merit (Engineering) in my GCSEs. I am now currently studying maths, further maths and physics at a level and would like now to could I get into the top universities with my GCSEs if I were to achieve something like A*A*A - A*A*A* + EPQ. I got the 66 in combined maths and I read on imperials website you need a 7, are they strict on this? I want to study maths at university. By top universities I’m talking about Warwick, Durham, LSE, Bath, Manchester. Is Oxbridge long gone? Thanks

Universities dont drop GCSE requirements in Maths. To apply without it is the most likely way of getting a rejection. Places like Imperial are massively oversubscribed and those getting in will usually exceed not meet requirements. Top universities will already be full for this year and wont be making offers for this September entry.

Where is the GCSE requirement for at least a 7? I can't find it.
Reply 3

Unfortunately, I would not bother with Imperial as you will have no chance of getting in. As others have said, they aren't flexible with their GCSE requirements. Also, going from a 6 in GCSE maths, to A* in Maths and A* FM at A-levels, which is generally what you need to study maths at these Unis, is a big ask. Not impossible, but not many students can achieve such a big improvement. Sorry for being negative, but that does stand out a little to me.
Original post by lalexm
Unfortunately, I would not bother with Imperial as you will have no chance of getting in. As others have said, they aren't flexible with their GCSE requirements. Also, going from a 6 in GCSE maths, to A* in Maths and A* FM at A-levels, which is generally what you need to study maths at these Unis, is a big ask. Not impossible, but not many students can achieve such a big improvement. Sorry for being negative, but that does stand out a little to me.

That is pretty much the reality. The likelyhood of going from grade 6 at GCSE to A* in Maths and Further Maths at A level is extremely unusual. Not only that for top universities you are required to have the top level in STEP or MAT as well. Also places like Imperial are massively oversubscribed for Maths and nearly everyone else who gets an offer will at least have grade 7 in Gcse.so OP would be better off looking at more reachable universities.
I have taken this from a previous thread

The Imperial site is showing 1 in 4 applicants get accepted for Geophysics. You might well need to get higher than AAA to get an offer there. This is quite low for Imperial. For Computer Science it is 1 in 20 and for Maths 1 in 12.
Yes the GCSE requirements are adhered to so you would not be considered based on your GCSE results by the likes of Warwick and Imperial. Retake your maths GCSE and get an 8 or 9 and then apply.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone I did achieve a grade 7 in maths gcse. If I were to achieve those results for my predicted grades you think it’s worth applying to places like lse, bath, UCL something like those and not bother with imperial and Warwick. I do think it is possible to achieve those grades. I do believe that my gcse grades were a bit lower due to some circumstances but I know I could’ve done better and will hopefully show it in a levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Pretty sure Imperial only has GCSE requirements for English language.

At least it was that way when I started there.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
Where is the GCSE requirement for at least a 7? I can't find it.

Sorry I was reading a different thing. It said you need a 7 for a global school not the university
Sorry I was reading a different thing. It said you need a 7 for a global school not the university

Aha! If your referee can explain your improvement in maths you might have a chance, particularly for universities that use tests such as BMAT, Step etc.

Cambridge is more likely than Oxford, btw

Consider a gap year if you don't get the offers you want.
Thanks everyone I did achieve a grade 7 in maths gcse. If I were to achieve those results for my predicted grades you think it’s worth applying to places like lse, bath, UCL something like those and not bother with imperial and Warwick. I do think it is possible to achieve those grades. I do believe that my gcse grades were a bit lower due to some circumstances but I know I could’ve done better and will hopefully show it in a levels.

You get to apply to 5 unis on your UCAS form

One of those can “easily” be a “stretch” application which, if they reject you, you still get 4 other choices

so, up to you but you can apply.

the advice everyone else has given has been pretty good. Resit GCSE maths and see if you can get it up to a 9

take the MAT exam. If you get 64 or above then

a) Warwick will drop their offer to 2xA* + an A and
b) if you have the MAT score when you apply and it’s over 64, they are highly likely to make you an offer

if you really want to go to one of those unis then consider getting the grades in A levels first and then applying
If you are in with a chance of A star further maths a level surely you can just resit gcse and get a 9 to remove any issues?
(edited 1 year ago)

Do you mean 66 in combined science?

LSE, Durham and Manchester are not top unis for Maths - Oxford would look for better GCSEs. How is MAT prep going?

Bath or Warwick are possibilities. What about Leeds?
Reply 14
For Oxford shortlisting in maths, the MAT is a lot more important than GCSEs. Your GCSEs aren't great but wouldn't cause concern if they can be put in a supportive context. For example if your teachers are now predicting you A*A*A at A-level, and if you're getting competitive MAT scores, your GCSEs won't really matter. Have you discussed all this with your teachers?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending