The Student Room Group

If I get higher grades in my final A-level exam, would I be able to use clearing?

If I get higher grades in my final A-level exam then my current predicted grades which dont meet the entry requirements for top universities, would I be able to use clearing to go to those top universities with the achieved grades?
Why wouldn’t you apply to some of those universities in your original 5 choices?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why wouldn’t you apply to some of those universities in your original 5 choices?

Because my predicted grades do not meet their entry requirements. Im just wondering if my actual results were better then what the school has predicted me, I would be able to use clearing for the top unis.
Original post by user.yb
Because my predicted grades do not meet their entry requirements. Im just wondering if my actual results were better then what the school has predicted me, I would be able to use clearing for the top unis.

Yes you can use clearing provided the university has spaces in clearing. The problem is most top universities wont have spaces available and wont be in clearing. The reality is that very few exceed their predicted grades anyway. The vast majority dont reach them. As an example Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham and St Andrews dont usually enter clearing and many others only have limited courses available,
Original post by user.yb

Have you asked the universities that you’re interested in whether predictions below their standard offers are automatically rejected?

Many universities make aspirational offers to applicants above their predictions.

If you think you can exceed your predictions then you should be using 2 or 3 of your choices for universities that ask for the grades you expect (after doing some research into their decision making criteria)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending