The Student Room Group

Got rejected from Durham economics with 3A*s predicted, contextual application

Is is normal for Durham Econ, as a contextual applicant I thought I would have a decent chance.
Original post by vzvsjsisu
Is is normal for Durham Econ, as a contextual applicant I thought I would have a decent chance.

The phrase "a decent chance" is not a synonym for "a guaranteed offer", unfortunately. :frown:
This isnt the first time somebody has been rejected by Durham with your grades. Durham is a very popular university and Economics is a very competitive subject. What subjects are you taking and what were your GCSE results.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
This isnt the first time somebody has been rejected by Durham with your grades. Durham is a very popular university and Economics is a very competitive subject. What subjects are you taking and what were your GCSE results.
A levels: Maths Economics Physics
GCSES: 998877765

The GCSEs are probably less competitive than other applicants but I thought they would be enough for a contextual application
You were certainly in with a decent shout but Econ at any good uni is a bit of a gamble.
A levels: Maths Economics Physics
GCSES: 998877765

The GCSEs are probably less competitive than other applicants but I thought they would be enough for a contextual application
It might just be there were better candidates. Top universities are flooded with outstanding candidates for Economics. Many Oxbridge applicants also apply for Durham so the competition is really tough. The only other thing I can think of is others may be taking Further Maths although a university should state if they prefer this.
Hi I just got rejected by Durham University for economics- I am now quite worried because I was shortlisted for Oxford for PPE, then rejected also.

Stats
GCSE- 99999998887
A-Levels- Predicted 3A* Maths Economics Religious Studies
Private school, but very strong supercurriculars including Top 25 in Young Economist of the Year and Extenuating Circumstances.

Is there any way in which someone can explain how I got rejected as my application was very strong?
Original post by Daniel-34
Hi I just got rejected by Durham University for economics- I am now quite worried because I was shortlisted for Oxford for PPE, then rejected also.

Stats
GCSE- 99999998887
A-Levels- Predicted 3A* Maths Economics Religious Studies
Private school, but very strong supercurriculars including Top 25 in Young Economist of the Year and Extenuating Circumstances.

Is there any way in which someone can explain how I got rejected as my application was very strong?
As I said above it could be there were stronger candidates. The other issue might be the lack of Further Maths. Only they can answer this. Anybody applying to top universities for something as competitive runs the risk of rejection. Just because you think you have a strong application doesnt mean others wont have better. Many of the Durham applicants will also have applied to Oxbridge.
Economics is mega-competitive - at all top Unis.
Even with top grades there is no such thing as a certain offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending