The Student Room Group

How to pick a university?

I've heard back from all the universities I applied for. 4/5 offers, but the one I didn't get was my top choice. Now I have no idea which offer I want to accept. I've narrowed it down to two but I'm so torn and just don't know what the right choice is. Any advice?
Original post by Lou.Berry
I've heard back from all the universities I applied for. 4/5 offers, but the one I didn't get was my top choice. Now I have no idea which offer I want to accept. I've narrowed it down to two but I'm so torn and just don't know what the right choice is. Any advice?

Course? Which 4? Aspirations?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Course? Which 4? Aspirations?

I've been offered a place for Criminology at Northumbria, University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, and Leeds Beckett.
Torn between Northumbria and Uni of Sheffield. No idea what I want to do beyond uni so that's not helping the decision making...
I've been offered a place for Criminology at Northumbria, University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, and Leeds Beckett.
Torn between Northumbria and Uni of Sheffield. No idea what I want to do beyond uni so that's not helping the decision making...

How do your predictions match their requirements? And what attracts you to those two?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
How do your predictions match their requirements? And what attracts you to those two?

I don't really have predictions since I'm doing an access course, but so far all the modules I've had marked I've gotten distinctions in. Uni of Sheff want 36 credits at distinction and 9 at merit, and Northumbria want 120 UCAS points. So both seem do-able for me at this point. Chose them because they're both pretty highly ranked in Criminology, Sheffield isn't too far from where I am now and is rated higher, Northumbria is in Newcastle which I really like as a place and I have family up there too.
I don't really have predictions since I'm doing an access course, but so far all the modules I've had marked I've gotten distinctions in. Uni of Sheff want 36 credits at distinction and 9 at merit, and Northumbria want 120 UCAS points. So both seem do-able for me at this point. Chose them because they're both pretty highly ranked in Criminology, Sheffield isn't too far from where I am now and is rated higher, Northumbria is in Newcastle which I really like as a place and I have family up there too.

I did a postgraduate at Sheffield. It's a good university and an entertaining, affordable city.
I don't know much about Northumbria. I did visit U of Sheffield for once since a couple of friends were there, all were on social sciences courses. Honestly, I was not very impressed by the City, but all my friends studied there express high praise to the university. I believe, at least academically, joining Sheffield would be a good choice. I also appreciate your interest in criminology, which is really an inspiring area of study. :yeah:

I'm sorry you didn't get your first choice university, but I'm glad you've managed to find two other universities you also like! Firstly I'd recommend to look carefully at the core and optional modules at both universities and see you prefer one course over another. If the courses are both appealing, I always recommend visualising yourself at each university, even if its just something small like imagining yourself going to a café in the city or working in the library, I found looking around the campus and city really helpful in making my decision. If you can't visit, watch YouTube vlogs from people at each university or look up virtual tours online. Think about where you'd be living, how you'd get to lectures, and other factors that might be important to you for example the nightlife, the library, or the gym.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending