The Student Room Group

sheffield v exeter

Hi, i have got offers from both sheffield and exeter unis for geography and im very usure of which to pick as i really like them both. Anyone have any advice on which one/ anyone who does geography at either?
Reply 1
Original post by mollyejc
Hi, i have got offers from both sheffield and exeter unis for geography and im very usure of which to pick as i really like them both. Anyone have any advice on which one/ anyone who does geography at either?

Exeter is a much more inspiring place to live. You have a great mix of environments on our doorstep.

Have you compared modules and assessment process to see which you are better fitted to?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is a much more inspiring place to live. You have a great mix of environments on our doorstep.

Have you compared modules and assessment process to see which you are better fitted to?

i have had a look at both courses and like the look of both so its really hard to pick. im going to go to the offer holder days to try and get a better feel for both of the places but might still be unsure!

as someone else has replied who says one is a more inspiring place to live than the other, I feel bound to defend the other university in this mix!
I know a number of former Sheffield students many of whom have remained in or near the city after graduating even though they are not from the north.
They loved the university and continue to enjoy work and family life there, now, too.
I imagine the Peak District is a good location for a lot of geography field work.
Yes, do go to the open days, though, to get a feel for the departments and the contrasting cities.
(edited 4 months ago)

Hi there @mollyejc,

It's great to hear you are considering studying at the University of Exeter! It can definitely feel daunting making the decision, however there are a few tips I found useful when it came to choosing!

First, I can see you have already looked at the modules on offer at both universities. It might also be worthing considering different aspects of the course, including contact hours, assessment types, fieldwork opportunities, etc. This could be a helpful way of differentiating between the two.

I would also have a look at the societies and extra-curricular activities available at each university - getting involved with the student community and finding interests outside of your chosen subject is a really important aspect of university life. If you have any particular hobbies, or are looking at taking up something new, this might be a good place to start!

If you're planning on moving to university (instead of commuting), it would be useful to think about the kind of area you want to live in! Exeter has a great range of restaurants, bars, clubs to choose from. In addition, there is plenty of green space to access the outdoors - whether that be a walk along the river, a day at the beach (approx. 20 minute train ride), or walking through the fields nearby. For me, Exeter is about a 2 hour train ride from home, which is ideal if I want to travel back during the weekend - this might also be worth considering for yourself.

On a more personal note, I'm now in my final year at the University of Exeter and have thoroughly enjoyed myself! The quality of teaching has been excellent, with staff on hand to deal with any problems quickly and effectively! The student community is really welcoming and friendly. The Careers Team is also an amazing service - they are on hand to help with anything from interview practice, CV writing, or to help you figure out your plans after university!

I can see you've already planned to attend one of our opening days - this will be a great way to get a feel for Exeter and help you with your decision! In the meantime, feel free to get in touch with any further questions you may have!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Hi @mollyejc ,
Picking between universities can be a very difficult decision, my best advice would be to attend an offer holder day for each university to get a feel for the university itself as well being able to speak the department about the course. Also, it might be worth looking at the different modules you can study, as some courses with the same name at different uni's may cover different topics. Usually, the modules are listed on the universities website, with there being more flexibility to pick modules that interest you in the 2nd/3rd year. Also, it might be worth seeing how the course is taught eg. is there lots of practical labs and fieldwork or more lectures and how it is assessed as some universities might be more exam or coursework based.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd year Physical Geography)

I was actually in the same position as you this time last year! Currently I'm in first year studying BA geography at Exeter, but Sheffield was my insurance!
Course-wise, I think they're both very strong with flexibility in modules and both ranked well so they're good options. From studying at Exeter, I honestly couldn't fault the course and the teaching staff. Maybe take a look at both websites and read into modules/optional modules to see if you're more drawn towards one uni. But academically, I think you'd get a great experience at either uni.
I think one of the main differences in the two unis is location. Exeter is a campus-based uni whereas Sheffield is city-based. Exeter has a lovely campus and you'll likely live on campus first year too. Sheffield also has lovely accommodation, but you will be living further from the university. Exeter definitely has more of a large-town vibe whereas Sheffield is a bit of a larger city (although not too massive). They're both near amazing places too like Dartmoor and beaches in Exeter and places like the Peak District in Sheffield. Also, Sheffield is definitely cheaper than Exeter especially when it comes to second year housing.
I honestly think both unis are really great options, it just depends the kind of uni experience you're looking for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending