The Student Room Group

What do you do to relax at uni?

Hey guys,
Uni is so crazy and busy sometimes and it can be hard to switch off and relax. Personally, I really struggle with trying to stop working and re charge my social batteries!
Anyone got any advice for ways to relax for a uni student ?

Best wishes
Emily
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hey guys,
Uni is so crazy and busy sometimes and it can be hard to switch off and relax. Personally, I really struggle with trying to stop working and re charge my social batteries!

Best wishes
Emily

It sounds a bit stupid but I use things like crafts as a distraction. Either painting, or I taught myself how to crochet using youtube. When I need a mental break I pop on a tv show in the background and crochet for an hour or so. It feels productive but it's also very therapeutic IMO. I struggle to switch off and relax too, so replacing studying with something semi-productive is ideal

If that's not your thing, try another productive-therapeutic activity like baking, or join a social sports club. Anything that gets you away from your studies for a little while will make a big difference
Hey guys,

Best wishes
Emily

I brought a couple of consoles from home and so I play games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I've got Steam as well so like to play the Sims 4 :love:
I also like reading books on my kindle or audiobooks as well :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello,

Personally, I would do something that is totally separate from your studies. This is one of the best ways to disconnect and recharge. For instance If you study nursing at university, try learning a musical instrument.

Learning new hobbies is a great way to use different sides of your brain and activate new inspiration for yourself. Its also a good way of getting a balance and then having something fun to look forward to.

However, It doesn't have to be that demanding. You could always invest in an Odeon cinema card if you live close. This gives you chance to break away from reality, chill out and its only one payment a month, so its no longer expensive. There is also no limit to how many times you can go. I think Cineworld has a card now too. :smile:

Going into Spring, a national trust card might be a great investment too. Then you can enjoy the outside fresh air which is great for refreshing our mind body and spirit. It also is a great way of learning some history and appreciating where we live :smile: There is often great cafes and great architecture. I'm sure its only £7 a month - if that! There's places to visit all over the UK and you can downland the app to see which places are closest to you. :smile:

Hope this helps!

- Laura :smile:
Original post by bububbles
It sounds a bit stupid but I use things like crafts as a distraction. Either painting, or I taught myself how to crochet using youtube. When I need a mental break I pop on a tv show in the background and crochet for an hour or so. It feels productive but it's also very therapeutic IMO. I struggle to switch off and relax too, so replacing studying with something semi-productive is ideal

If that's not your thing, try another productive-therapeutic activity like baking, or join a social sports club. Anything that gets you away from your studies for a little while will make a big difference

Hi @bububbles
Definitely not stupid I love a good knit (I’m jealous you can crotchet I’ve never managed to do it properly)! It’s such a good point that stuff that feels productive to do that are relaxing, makes them more relaxing almost. I always feel less guilty if I feel like I’ve not been productive, so an activity like crochet is a good way round this.

I’m gonna go try and learn crochet now 😇
Brilliant ideas :smile:

Best wishes
Emily <3
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hello,

Personally, I would do something that is totally separate from your studies. This is one of the best ways to disconnect and recharge. For instance If you study nursing at university, try learning a musical instrument.

Learning new hobbies is a great way to use different sides of your brain and activate new inspiration for yourself. Its also a good way of getting a balance and then having something fun to look forward to.

However, It doesn't have to be that demanding. You could always invest in an Odeon cinema card if you live close. This gives you chance to break away from reality, chill out and its only one payment a month, so its no longer expensive. There is also no limit to how many times you can go. I think Cineworld has a card now too. :smile:

Going into Spring, a national trust card might be a great investment too. Then you can enjoy the outside fresh air which is great for refreshing our mind body and spirit. It also is a great way of learning some history and appreciating where we live :smile: There is often great cafes and great architecture. I'm sure its only £7 a month - if that! There's places to visit all over the UK and you can downland the app to see which places are closest to you. :smile:

Hope this helps!

- Laura :smile:

Hi Laura
Fab ideas!
Best wishes a
Emily <3
Original post by Chronoscope
I brought a couple of consoles from home and so I play games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I've got Steam as well so like to play the Sims 4 :love:
I also like reading books on my kindle or audiobooks as well :yep:

Hi @Chronoscope
This is an un matched relaxing activity! I love a good audio book, especially true crime. I am the biggest fan :smile: what type of audio books are you into ?

best wishes
Emily <3
Hey guys,

Best wishes
Emily

Hi Emily!

I'm a second year student at the London Interdisciplinary School. I often face the same issue. I personaly sometimes feel bad for some reason when I stop working to relax a bit. I've come to learn that is OK to take a break and relax and re-charge.
In London I'm very fortunate to have loads of options. I'm a bit of a foodie so I like to go and exlore different restaurants around London and make an evening of it. Either by myslef or with friends. We look for something to do near a restaurant that we want to go to and spend the evening having fun. I find it's a good way to re-charge my social battery while getting away from uni work.
I also use the app/website eventbrite to find events around me like parties, concerts, exhibitions, seminars, workshops etc around the stuff that interest me or I think i might like. It's a good way to be exposed to a variety of things and explore the world.
Another thing that really helps me are walks in nature with some music. They are extremly helpful and beneficial for my mental and physical health. I prefer fot these walks to be solo.
Hope these help
Logan - Student Ambassador LIS
Hey guys,

Best wishes
Emily

Hi Emily,

Uni can be so tasking and overwhelming and you will need to distract yourself from all the activities in order to be sane.

In moments like this, l can decide to either;

See a Movie
You can go to the cinema or watch any movie of your choice on Netflix or download from a site. If you don’t have any movie in mind, ask for recommendations.

Chat with Friends
You may decide to catch up with your friends and engage in those funny conversations that can help ease stress.

Hang Out
Going out with your friend(s) is also a good idea. Pick an interesting place/spot and head out. It could be an eatery, game house, zoo, beach, etc. Any place that interests you will serve.

Play Games
There are different outdoor or indoor games that are really interesting - cheers, scrabble, football, tenis, gesture games, and so forth.

Read a Novel
If you’re the type that enjoys reading novels, then that’s cool. Get a novel of your choice, whether fiction, romance etc and read. If you do not have any in mind, you can as well request for recommendations.

Sleep
Sleeping as a form of relaxation is a good one. Put everything away and sleep. Sleep away stress and become more energetic to continue with school activities.

Any means that works better for you or you enjoy doing, then go for it. Taking a break from the school world is 💯 important.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep
(edited 12 months ago)
Hey guys,

Best wishes
Emily

Hi there,
Personally, I also struggled with this whilst at uni. My advice is to actively schedule in time to relax or you might never do it (i.e. you'll always be using something on your to do list as an excuse not to). If you enjoy hanging with friends to recharge your batteries, why not schedule a games night in one of your flats? Or if your accommodation has communal facilities then you can head down and use those for your social gathering. If you'd prefer being alone, I always enjoyed snuggling up with a blanket and a good book or a game.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by Bradford Rep
Hi Emily,

Uni can be so tasking and overwhelming and you will need to distract yourself from all the activities in order to be sane.

In moments like this, l can decide to either;

See a Movie
You can go to the cinema or watch any movie of your choice on Netflix or download from a site. If you don’t have any movie in mind, ask for recommendations.

Chat with Friends
You may decide to catch up with your friends and engage in those funny conversations that can help ease stress.

Hang Out
Going out with your friend(s) is also a good idea. Pick an interesting place/spot and head out. It could be an eatery, game house, zoo, beach, etc. Any place that interests you will serve.

Play Games
There are different outdoor or indoor games that are really interesting - cheers, scrabble, football, tenis, gesture games, and so forth.

Read a Novel
If you’re the type that enjoys reading novels, then that’s cool. Get a novel of your choice, whether fiction, romance etc and read. If you do not have any in mind, you can as well request for recommendations.

Sleep
Sleeping as a form of relaxation is a good one. Put everything away and sleep. Sleep away stress and become more energetic to continue with school activities.

Any means that works better for you or you enjoy doing, then go for it. Taking a break from the school world is 💯 important.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Hi Chuks
Fav ideas. I especially love the ideas on getting some sleep !! It’s so important to re charge and refill those batteries so you can go and seize the day
Getting a good idea of your sleep preferences and what helps you sleep really Is a good ideas. This way you can be quicker to switch off and sleep !

Thanks
Emily <3
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
Personally, I also struggled with this whilst at uni. My advice is to actively schedule in time to relax or you might never do it (i.e. you'll always be using something on your to do list as an excuse not to). If you enjoy hanging with friends to recharge your batteries, why not schedule a games night in one of your flats? Or if your accommodation has communal facilities then you can head down and use those for your social gathering. If you'd prefer being alone, I always enjoyed snuggling up with a blanket and a good book or a game.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi there,
Think me and you are quite similar with this one. I love a good book and my snuggly throw at university, maybe my heated blanket :smile: my flat mates and I have the best ever karaoke nights which are simply unmatched! They are brilliant when unwinding

Thanks
Emily <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending