The Student Room Group

Higher maths

I have a serious problem.

For clarification, I NEED an A band 1 in my higher maths exam.

In my class tests and prelims, I always get around 50-65%.

A few months ago, I was really upset because I got around 60% in a past paper, two weeks later I did the 2018 past paper and got 83% - which I was over the moon with. Then a month or so later I did another past paper and got around 60% - I was completely distraught. A few weeks later we had our second prelim - I don't yet know what I got for paper 2 but I know for paper 1 I got around 65%. Last week I did a past paper and got 84% overall.

The problem is that my grades are never consistent, and the fact that I'm currently doing better on past papers than tests is freaking me out because it doesn't seem as official as a test, so I don't feel as though I can be confident that I am an A student. I literally have no idea what grade I would get in the exam. I just really need help with maths. I am so confused.

I'm sorry, that probably made no sense.
Original post by rosewallsxx
I have a serious problem.

For clarification, I NEED an A band 1 in my higher maths exam.

In my class tests and prelims, I always get around 50-65%.

A few months ago, I was really upset because I got around 60% in a past paper, two weeks later I did the 2018 past paper and got 83% - which I was over the moon with. Then a month or so later I did another past paper and got around 60% - I was completely distraught. A few weeks later we had our second prelim - I don't yet know what I got for paper 2 but I know for paper 1 I got around 65%. Last week I did a past paper and got 84% overall.

The problem is that my grades are never consistent, and the fact that I'm currently doing better on past papers than tests is freaking me out because it doesn't seem as official as a test, so I don't feel as though I can be confident that I am an A student. I literally have no idea what grade I would get in the exam. I just really need help with maths. I am so confused.

I'm sorry, that probably made no sense.

I'm also doing higher maths this year, watch DLBmaths on youtube if you aren't already and then watch how he tackles the problems and try copy what he does. Do this an you will get an A band 1 no bother. It's probably just nerves which makes you do worse on a test and that's normal no matter how good you are. Just remember for the final exam that the questions are much simpler than what they first appear, before you walk into the exam hall tell yourself this is easy and you will find it easy as you won't overthink silly stuff. I can give you some tips if you want on some areas that you struggle with. I'm one of those weird kids that actually likes maths lol. Oh, and don't forget the +C that would be very sad :frown:
Original post by (ln(e))(log(10))
I'm also doing higher maths this year, watch DLBmaths on youtube if you aren't already and then watch how he tackles the problems and try copy what he does. Do this an you will get an A band 1 no bother. It's probably just nerves which makes you do worse on a test and that's normal no matter how good you are. Just remember for the final exam that the questions are much simpler than what they first appear, before you walk into the exam hall tell yourself this is easy and you will find it easy as you won't overthink silly stuff. I can give you some tips if you want on some areas that you struggle with. I'm one of those weird kids that actually likes maths lol. Oh, and don't forget the +C that would be very sad :frown:

thank you so much! I'll use your tips and hopefully secure that A band 1! Good luck on the exam, although it sounds like you're very good at maths so you don't need the luck! :smile:

I'll also remember the +C, thanks!
You need to approach it methodically. Look at the past papers and marking instructions and work out where you lost marks.

Did you make silly mistakes or are there gaps in your learning. Once you know where the issues lie you can take steps to resolve them.
thank you so much! I'll use your tips and hopefully secure that A band 1! Good luck on the exam, although it sounds like you're very good at maths so you don't need the luck! :smile:

I'll also remember the +C, thanks!

Good luck to you too
Original post by BlackLab
You need to approach it methodically. Look at the past papers and marking instructions and work out where you lost marks.

Did you make silly mistakes or are there gaps in your learning. Once you know where the issues lie you can take steps to resolve them.

Thank you so much
Reply 6
Good luck today -
Read every question more than once, double check you've answered everything in the question. If you think you can do something else to complete the answer, you usually can (simplify where possible etc)
Always write down "baby steps" as these can get marks when you're stuck and they can also trigger a method/substitution etc.
Reply 7
How did everyone do? 😄
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by chans02
How did everyone do? 😄

Thought it went well apart from 13bii on the first paper, didn't have a clue how to answer that one.
Reply 9
Original post by Femaiden
Thought it went well apart from 13bii on the first paper, didn't have a clue how to answer that one.

What question was that? I agree the paper wasn’t the worst, but I can’t say it was the best either because there were some questions that were quite challenging lol especially the last question about the circle in paper 2. I do hope, I at least get a B or I won’t be able to go to my first choice of Uni 😄
Reply 10
Original post by chans02
What question was that? I agree the paper wasn’t the worst, but I can’t say it was the best either because there were some questions that were quite challenging lol especially the last question about the circle in paper 2. I do hope, I at least get a B or I won’t be able to go to my first choice of Uni 😄

The 2sin2p one, I definitely got it wrong
Reply 11
Original post by Femaiden
The 2sin2p one, I definitely got it wrong

I definitely got it wrong because I think I ignored it. DLB maths has done paper 1 for Higher 2023.
Reply 12
I had a panic attack during the second paper and couldn't calm down even hours later :frown:

I think I have a serious anxiety problem when it comes to exams, no matter how prepared I am. It's so depressing.
Reply 13
Original post by chans02
I definitely got it wrong because I think I ignored it. DLB maths has done paper 1 for Higher 2023.

I have done all the solutions - dm if you want them
Reply 14
Original post by CossLne
I have done all the solutions - dm if you want them

I'm alright thanks for the offer though. Seen enough from DLB maths already lol. I am on 58.3% from what I have seen from DLB maths though, just praying to god SQA will lower the grade boundaries so I can get a B 🤣
Reply 15
I had a panic attack during the second paper and couldn't calm down even hours later :frown:

I think I have a serious anxiety problem when it comes to exams, no matter how prepared I am. It's so depressing.

Same I had a panic attack during paper 1 though. Because I was thinking about, if I don't get a good grade this year I can't go to my first choice of University bc I got a conditional offer. I for some reason couldn't do the 5 marks worth of synthetic division, as well which was a shame because it should have been my specialty.
Reply 16
Original post by chans02
Same I had a panic attack during paper 1 though. Because I was thinking about, if I don't get a good grade this year I can't go to my first choice of University bc I got a conditional offer. I for some reason couldn't do the 5 marks worth of synthetic division, as well which was a shame because it should have been my specialty.

that synthetic division one was definitely the hardest one I’ve seen out of all the past papers
Reply 17
Original post by chans02

that sucks, I really hope you get the grade you need
Reply 18
that sucks, I really hope you get the grade you need

Thanks. Same with you!! 😄
Reply 19
Original post by emkelt
that synthetic division one was definitely the hardest one I’ve seen out of all the past papers

Exactly. Which is awful because synthetic division should be easy. I mean the first part of it was easy and I definitely got the two marks. But I got stuck on the second part, so probs 1 or 0/5 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending