The Student Room Group

Should I drop EPQ??

I've been doing EPQ for a couple of months now but lately it's been stressing me out quite a bit. The deadline is coming up so I don't know whether to just stick with it, but I recently had to change my question so I'm still in the process of rewriting it. Is EPQ worth it? I don't know how much universities look at it, but with 4 a-levels I'm wondering if it would just be best to focus on them instead?
Hi there, it is important to remember that an EPQ is worth half an a level. That means that there is also half the workload of an a level to take into consideration (they are not joking when they say its half an a level). Do you think you are capable of balancing 4.5 a levels at the moment? If yes, thats great! If not, or if you’re not too sure, it’s best to not begin the process of the EPQ, in my opinion. What do you want to do in uni? Have you checked wether the course cares about EPQs, because sometimes they say that they dont take it into account. Speak to people from the university on Unibuddy and ask them about their experience too!

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by AliceH_04
I've been doing EPQ for a couple of months now but lately it's been stressing me out quite a bit. The deadline is coming up so I don't know whether to just stick with it, but I recently had to change my question so I'm still in the process of rewriting it. Is EPQ worth it? I don't know how much universities look at it, but with 4 a-levels I'm wondering if it would just be best to focus on them instead?

Not all universities will consider EPQ, you need to research whether the universities you're applying to will consider EPQ. It is hard doing 3 A Levels, let alone 4. Personally, I would focus on your A Levels, but it's your choice.
Reply 3
i was offered a lower offer from bath for my epq i don't know if they lower for 4 a levels
Reply 4
Original post by aafroo
Hi there, it is important to remember that an EPQ is worth half an a level. That means that there is also half the workload of an a level to take into consideration (they are not joking when they say its half an a level). Do you think you are capable of balancing 4.5 a levels at the moment? If yes, thats great! If not, or if you’re not too sure, it’s best to not begin the process of the EPQ, in my opinion. What do you want to do in uni? Have you checked wether the course cares about EPQs, because sometimes they say that they dont take it into account. Speak to people from the university on Unibuddy and ask them about their experience too!
Hope this helped

Thank you it really did help 😊. I think at the start I was OK with the workload but I think that is because our teacher didn't tell us about everything, we ended up switching teachers a couple of weeks ago and there was so much we hadn't done yet, so I definitely underestimated it. I also have a couple of tests and art deadlines which I would rather prioritise. I want to do ancient history or art at uni and so far none of the unis require an epq, it only lowers the requirement grades. I will definitely do that thanks !
Reply 5
Original post by tochi04
i was offered a lower offer from bath for my epq i don't know if they lower for 4 a levels

Yes I thought that may be helpful, I feel somewhat confident that I'll meet the grade requirements, but it would definitely be a good thing if it was dropped a grade.
Reply 6
Original post by spectrum84
Not all universities will consider EPQ, you need to research whether the universities you're applying to will consider EPQ. It is hard doing 3 A Levels, let alone 4. Personally, I would focus on your A Levels, but it's your choice.

I am finding the workload quite alot at the minute with tests and deadlines, I would rather prioritise the 4 alevels at the minute so I'm considering just dropping epq. The ones I have looked at don't require it and they say they consider it, but to what extent I don't know. I've also found things to do that I can add onto my personal statement that are more specific to the courses that I want to do, rather than EPQ, they may be more worth my time.
Original post by AliceH_04
I am finding the workload quite alot at the minute with tests and deadlines, I would rather prioritise the 4 alevels at the minute so I'm considering just dropping epq. The ones I have looked at don't require it and they say they consider it, but to what extent I don't know. I've also found things to do that I can add onto my personal statement that are more specific to the courses that I want to do, rather than EPQ, they may be more worth my time.

Some universities will offer a lower entry requirement if you have an EPQ, it might be worth emailing the universities to ask.
I would also recommend speaking to your tutor to see what they think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending