The Student Room Group

A level options

Hi there,
I am currently in a position where I am unsure of my preselected A-Level Options. At the minute, I have put down English Lit, French, Politics, EPQ, and Thinking Skills. However, following the end of exam season and the premise of getting the results back, I would really like to do Latin A-Level as well. I am predicted a 9 in English, French, and Latin, but have not done Politics at GCSE to know how strong I am in it. Would it be considered too much work to do all 4 subjects at A-Level (and drop the EPQ and thinking skills), or should I make a tough decision and pick 3?
Original post by hannahclayton01
Hi there,
I am currently in a position where I am unsure of my preselected A-Level Options. At the minute, I have put down English Lit, French, Politics, EPQ, and Thinking Skills. However, following the end of exam season and the premise of getting the results back, I would really like to do Latin A-Level as well. I am predicted a 9 in English, French, and Latin, but have not done Politics at GCSE to know how strong I am in it. Would it be considered too much work to do all 4 subjects at A-Level (and drop the EPQ and thinking skills), or should I make a tough decision and pick 3?

Universities only require 3 A-levels and you can get reduced offers if you do well in your EPQ. If you do 4 A-levels you will expected to do well in all of them. Do you know what you want to do in the future?
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Universities only require 3 A-levels and you can get reduced offers if you do well in your EPQ. If you do 4 A-levels you will expected to do well in all of them. Do you know what you want to do in the future?

Thanks for the reply!
Currently looking to do Law (and European/French Law), English, or Classics.
Reply 3
Hi there,

Another option would be to do 4, and then a couple of months in, drop the 1 you find least enjoyable. Many students do that. You normally don’t have to decide about the EPQ until a couple of months in.
Thanks for the reply!
Currently looking to do Law (and European/French Law), English, or Classics.

Dont do 4 A levels. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose. Universities ask for 3 other than a couple of courses in Imperial. Taking 4 runs the risk of dropping a grade due to spreading the workload. AAA is looked on better than AABB. It might be worth starting with 4 and dropping 1 once you are more certain.

Quick Reply

Latest