The Student Room Group

My grandpa past away

So, today my grandfather passed away. i saw him on video call , saw his soul leave his body.
I have exams next week.

I cant focus. what do i do?
I'm sorry to hear that.

Inform your school/college/uni. They will know how to best support you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So, today my grandfather passed away. i saw him on video call , saw his soul leave his body.
I have exams next week.

I'm sorry t hear that.

Are these exams formal external exams, like GCSEs or A levels? (It would be very early for either but I guess anything's possible.) If so, make sure you talk to your school about "special consideration". The exam boards realise that situations like this can have an impact on your exam performance and will make (small) allowances as a result. For example, if you have experienced the "very recent death of member of extended family" that can adjust your mark by up to 4%. Full details here.

Even if they're not formal external exams, tell your school anyway. They will likely want to make allowances for the impact this will have.
Reply 3
I have exams next week.

I am so sorry to hear that, i can’t imagine the pain you must be feeling right now- especially since you saw him pass on video. my grandfather passed the beginning of last month and it was really hard. my advice for you is to take time to mourn for a few days- your exams can wait, or atleast for a little bit. maybe reach out to a counselor about your situation and definitely email your teachers to inform them about your current situation. i did that after my grandpa passed and they were all very understanding. but most importantly allow yourself to feel. don’t forget that you are allowed to be sad, it is normal and completely okay, and just let your body grieve. i know it’s hard to believe right now, but time heals. let yourself feel lost, you will be able to feel better soon. again, i am so sorry for your loss x
I have exams next week.

Sorry to hear that may his soul be resting in peace. Maybe try and request some time off or rearrange the exam at a later date.
Speak to someone at your school. Perhaps, your tutor/teacher and explain. Maybe they can allow you to have some time to grieve before doing exams. Or they can take it into consideration.
Make sure the school know.
passed
Sorry for your loss. I still remember when my grandpa died, it was a tough time. Is it formal exams? And when are they?

You will still be feeling very raw and in shock if it has just happened, but see how you feel in a few days, Everyone deals with loss differently, I found getting back into revision, just doing something, was a welcome distraction and I knew my grandpa would have wanted me to try to do my best in my exams.

Let the school know and they will support you and let you know what options are available.
Original post by karl pilkington
passed

Seriously, the kid's grieving... they need our support not a grammar lesson :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Original post by karl pilkington
passed

Seriously dude **** you
I have exams next week.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
I have exams next week.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Definitely let the school know and don't be too harsh on yourself :console:
Sending thoughts and hugs :hugs:
My condolences 🙏
Hey everyone, just wanted to thank you all really.

Secondly, I have seen a few negative comments and honestly I'm not an individual who thrives on pity. I'm not an emotional person at all, I'm always in tact. The exams I'm reffering to are my final exams, in order to complete my one year at college basically, they are important to me as I'm opting for transfering to a university.
I dont want your pity. If you feel the need to call me a child please refrain from responding to this discussion.

I've never gone through a personal death. This death, was special to me. I saw him die, I saw his soul leave his body. My grandfather was always a dominant man, never looking for help. seeing him in this condition wasn't on my agenda was it?

It may seem simple to you, "grieve it later", what do you mean grieve it later? SO i compress my feelings and just study? if it was that simple, you think I'd come up here and ask for help?
If you do, then thats childish. You cant temporarily remove my feelings, keep them in a box, finish my exams and check my reminders, Oh i need to get in my feels.

Its not a switch i can turn on and off.

Secondly, not to be rude. You're calling me childish when your own sentence structure lacks basic structure and grammer.
"You don’t through away years of hardwork because of a death , you be mature do what needs to be done and grieve late"

Its throw, not through.
Volunteer Note: Thread closed as a cooling off period following some non-constructive comments and a lot of people replying to a troll post that should instead have been reported.

Thread will re-open soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending