The Student Room Group

How to deal with anxiety that comes from a teacher criticizing you?

Hey, so I have this English teacher and I think he's a bit condescending which bothers me a lot for some reason. Although I am about average in English, he makes me feel extremely self conscious. I think it stems from my people pleasing tendencies.I don't know how to deal with the anxiety that comes along with being criticized. Just a week before the exams he gave us a report writing task and assigned us a partner. My partner failed to do any work and in the same week my grandpa passed away. I go to him and politely request for an extension on the deadline but he goes"I m sorry you know. Just submit whatever you have". I was aggravated by his insensitivity but I put something together and submitted it. Anyways the examinations came and went and it was afterwards that I realized he had commented that he couldn't open the file I sent. I sent him an email with the PDF version later on but now he won't answer. I probably lost my marks and hate English now.I don't know what to do because my anxiety is reaching new levels. If anyone can offer advice or help, I m all ears
Reply 1
Original post by Limpbiskit
Hey, so I have this English teacher and I think he's a bit condescending which bothers me a lot for some reason. Although I am about average in English, he makes me feel extremely self conscious. I think it stems from my people pleasing tendencies.I don't know how to deal with the anxiety that comes along with being criticized. Just a week before the exams he gave us a report writing task and assigned us a partner. My partner failed to do any work and in the same week my grandpa passed away. I go to him and politely request for an extension on the deadline but he goes"I m sorry you know. Just submit whatever you have". I was aggravated by his insensitivity but I put something together and submitted it. Anyways the examinations came and went and it was afterwards that I realized he had commented that he couldn't open the file I sent. I sent him an email with the PDF version later on but now he won't answer. I probably lost my marks and hate English now.I don't know what to do because my anxiety is reaching new levels. If anyone can offer advice or help, I m all ears

I am sorry for what you are going through. How do you manage? Maybe change your expectations on what you feel you should be getting from your teachers? You just have to muddle through.

I think the thing students forget is that to them, they have one teacher and it appears to be reasonable for them to be deal with as individuals and have them cater for our individual needs. For the teacher, you are one of 100 - 500 students depending on their timetable. It is massively difficult to provide individual tailoring in class when you are effectively juggling the lives of all of your students many of whom are unable to self-manage. As a teacher it seems reasonable that the best you can do is hand in what you have got. What else could he reasonably do? Sure, he could grant you an extension but then he would have to write that down, remember to remind you to hand in your work when the extension is due, then mark it when all the other pieces of work have already been marked... etc etc. To say nothing of all the other things he has to do to make concessions for all his other students.

The world is stressful. The world is cruel. The only person can ensure you survive is you. Perhaps this is a good lesson in life. Life is hard. Once you accept that, it isn't so bad. Once you change your expectations it is easy to deal with.

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I am sorry for what you are going through. How do you manage? Maybe change your expectations on what you feel you should be getting from your teachers? You just have to muddle through.

I think the thing students forget is that to them, they have one teacher and it appears to be reasonable for them to be deal with as individuals and have them cater for our individual needs. For the teacher, you are one of 100 - 500 students depending on their timetable. It is massively difficult to provide individual tailoring in class when you are effectively juggling the lives of all of your students many of whom are unable to self-manage. As a teacher it seems reasonable that the best you can do is hand in what you have got. What else could he reasonably do? Sure, he could grant you an extension but then he would have to write that down, remember to remind you to hand in your work when the extension is due, then mark it when all the other pieces of work have already been marked... etc etc. To say nothing of all the other things he has to do to make concessions for all his other students.

The world is stressful. The world is cruel. The only person can ensure you survive is you. Perhaps this is a good lesson in life. Life is hard. Once you accept that, it isn't so bad. Once you change your expectations it is easy to deal with.

Good luck

I guess I did need the reality check. Thank you for the advice
Reply 3
Original post by Limpbiskit
I guess I did need the reality check. Thank you for the advice

There is a really simple piece of advice that works every time.

"You can't change someone's behaviour but you can change your own."

As soon as you find yourself saying things like, "He won't do this," or "She said that and shouldn't have," you need to accept there is pretty much nothing you can do directly to change that. But you can change your own behaviour. With regard to this assignment, why not do it anyway in your own time and ask your teacher if he would mind looking at it when complete. And if he says no, well, nothing is lost, but you never know... You are controlling the situation and are in a position to accept either outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending