The Student Room Group

I think I’m going to get a third :/

Hi all, so I’m currently a third year biomedical science student, and I’ve come to realise I think I’m going to get a third class degree. I just need some advice as all of this is so overwhelming. A little bit of a backstory is that I started university during 2020 meaning that all my lectures were online and practicals were non existent so I didn’t really have a good idea of what biomedical science was like. I was also a little bit apprehensive when applying for the course in the first place as I was unsure about it but you know how parents can be pushy. Second year came and was in person and within the first month I realised I absolutely hated the course. Everything about it, just wasn’t for me but by that time it was too late to swap to a different course. During my 1st 2nd and my 3rd year up until a few months ago I was in abusive relationship amongst other personal issues which I think, well I know has had a role in my poor grades throughout university. I averaged a 2:2 in my second year(53%) .In third year here is an idea of how I’m doing in my modules.
Module 1- 76% in an assignment & exam pending
Module2- 56% in an assignment & exam pending
Module 3- 55% in an assignment and exam pending
Module 4- 0% in an assignment and exam pending
Module 5 - 21% in an exam, other exam pending
Module 6 - 35% in an exam, other exam I’m waiting on the grade
Dissertation - pending grade (I did everything asked of me but I still feel like I’m going to get below 40 I don’t know).

So now you can see how bad this is and why I am just so down about it because everything is literally reliant on my exam grades which I am absolutely trying to study the hell out of it but I just think it won’t be enough to save it. So there is a slippery slope between 2:2 & a 3rd. I currently work as a carer and have done since first year and realised that i definitely want to work in a patient facing role and want to apply for a masters. But if I get a 3rd class degree that option is out the window. So I’ve been having a think and playing around with the grade calculator endlessly so I just would like opinions on my ideas.

Scenario 1 - I contact the student advice centre for my uni and ask if I can repeat 3rd year explaining my situation which they are somewhat aware of due to having to get an extension on my dissertation. I doubt they will let me as it’s so close to the end.
Scenario 2- I get a 3rd and I cry loads. Then attempt to apply to a masters in nursing or paramedic science with almost 3 years of care experience behind me for September 2024. Reckon I have a chance ? or is that just pointless.? There are a few programs that accept 2:2
Scenario 3- I graduate with a 2:2 and cry loads again. Then attempt to apply to a physician associate studies at DMU or Worcester as they will look at applicants with this grade with experience.
Scenario 4- Forget about ever working in healthcare and try and find a job I can maybe work my way up in
Scenario 5- apply for some kind of apprenticeship.

Please help :/
I’m in the same boat . But I didn’t manage to find a job . I’m a mature student.

Maybe just see what’s out there . Graduate jobs you may have to give up the ideas of getting one of them ( as I did ) because it competeorbe between people who get high 2:1 and firsts
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Thenewguy123
I’m in the same boat . But I didn’t manage to find a job . I’m a mature student.

Maybe just see what’s out there . Graduate jobs you may have to give up the ideas of getting one of them ( as I did ) because it competeorbe between people who get high 2:1 and firsts

Are you in your final year now or have you already graduated, did you do biomedical science and what are you doing now :smile:
If you were in an abusive relationship and have proof e.g. police were called, you had to go to the hospital with bruises etc then you could approach the wellbeing unit at your uni and your student's union to ask if you can repeat year 3. It's a long shot but worth a try.

If you graduate with a third it's not the end of the world. A friend of mine who got a third from Bath uni in economics then enrolled on a bookkeeping course and set himself up as a bookkeeper for small businesses. You can also self-fund to take the Chartered Institute of Management Accounting (CIMA) qualification - 3 years and lots of exams. Once you have 'chartered accountant' after your name, no one will ask about your degree qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending