The Student Room Group

Warwick Law for Commercial Bar?

I've recently received an offer for law from the University of Warwick. While appreciate it is a very good uni (top 10), I'm not sure whether I'd be at a natural disadvantage against Oxbridge/LSE grads?

For context, the aim is to be a barrister in London (civil, commercial, employment, professional negligence sort of areas) so my goal is definitely get a top first even if Warwick's percentage of firsts is low. But I'm not sure when it comes to applying for jobs, whether I will be significantly disadvantaged against the Oxbridge/London grads and should be maybe temper my expectations? Would appreciate some thoughts on this :smile:

(Yes, I am very much focused and productive with A level revision- just sometimes like to think about the future!)
When did you receive the offer? What’s ur predicted grades and gcses too.
And a 2:1 is highly respectable for being a barrister don’t worry
Original post by Saqib186
When did you receive the offer? What’s ur predicted grades and gcses too.
And a 2:1 is highly respectable for being a barrister don’t worry

Like early last week? A*A*A* predictions and nine 9s at GCSE- how about you?

I completely appreciate that, but for the level of competition at civil/commercial sets in London, a first just opens more doors- I want to do the BCL/MCL too so a first is definitely necessary
Original post by RetroSPECT3.0
I've recently received an offer for law from the University of Warwick. While appreciate it is a very good uni (top 10), I'm not sure whether I'd be at a natural disadvantage against Oxbridge/LSE grads?

For context, the aim is to be a barrister in London (civil, commercial, employment, professional negligence sort of areas) so my goal is definitely get a top first even if Warwick's percentage of firsts is low. But I'm not sure when it comes to applying for jobs, whether I will be significantly disadvantaged against the Oxbridge/London grads and should be maybe temper my expectations? Would appreciate some thoughts on this :smile:

(Yes, I am very much focused and productive with A level revision- just sometimes like to think about the future!)

Bro I also got an offer but idk if I can get the 3 As lmao. Hopefully meet you there then.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Bro I also got an offer but idk if I can get the 3 As lmao. Hopefully meet you there then.

Bro don't say that, you got this! Hope to see you there my man

I’m still waiting on my offer same predicted and a bit less gcse, I applied October wbu?
Like early last week? A*A*A* predictions and nine 9s at GCSE- how about you?

I completely appreciate that, but for the level of competition at civil/commercial sets in London, a first just opens more doors- I want to do the BCL/MCL too so a first is definitely necessary

I applied 15th october, wbu still haven’t heard back man
I applied 15th october, wbu still haven’t heard back man

Don't worry mate, you'll hear soon- theyre taking ages this year. I applied like very early October
Bro don't say that, you got this! Hope to see you there my man

Thank you, I'll work on it. We got some catch up to do if we want to keep up with the Oxbridge lot.
I’m still waiting on my offer same predicted and a bit less gcse, I applied October wbu?

I applied like late October/early November, so you have hope dw. I only heard back like 2 days ago.
Thank you, I'll work on it. We got some catch up to do if we want to keep up with the Oxbridge lot.

Yes 100%, it's already going to be a big uphill battle! Do you have similar career goals too?
Yes 100%, it's already going to be a big uphill battle! Do you have similar career goals too?

Well, I was planning on working towards becoming a commercial solicitor at a Magic Circle firm, but to be honest I don't really know much about law as it stands so that's just a rough idea. I could very well end up working towards a similar career goal. It's just annoying that even a 1st at Warwick will only be considered like a 2:1 at Oxbridge/LSE etc.
Well, I was planning on working towards becoming a commercial solicitor at a Magic Circle firm, but to be honest I don't really know much about law as it stands so that's just a rough idea. I could very well end up working towards a similar career goal. It's just annoying that even a 1st at Warwick will only be considered like a 2:1 at Oxbridge/LSE etc.

Thats fair enough yeah, still very early days! No need to worry though, in nearly all cases, a first from Warwick is immensely more valuable than a 2:1 at Oxbridge, and certainly than one at LSE. A first from Oxbridge, LSE, and Warwick will almost be seen in the light, i.e. you certainly won't get rejected because you got a Warwick first, whereas the next guy got an Oxbridge first.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thats fair enough yeah, still very early days! No need to worry though, in nearly all cases, a first from Warwick is immensely more valuable than a 2:1 at Oxbridge, and certainly than one at LSE. A first from Oxbridge, LSE, and Warwick will almost be seen in the light, i.e. you certainly won't get rejected because you got a Warwick first, whereas the next guy got an Oxbridge first.

Ah ok that's good then, I was hearing mixed things online!
Ah ok that's good then, I was hearing mixed things online!

Yeah don't worry about it too much. I'd doubt even the highest standard commercial chancery set would choose an Oxbridge 2:1 over a Warwick first, especially if they performed well in the interview.

That definitely won't be the case for applying to Magic Circle or even US firms
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending