The Student Room Group

Starting uni again at 22

I'll be starting uni again at 22 after failing first year when I was 18 as I wasn't prepared for uni workload and life. I feel like a failure as all my friends will be graduating and feel like I wasted a lot of time. How can I ensure everything goes smoothly again.
Hey! Im on the same boat as you, firstly everyone has their time so go at your own pace and dont beat yourself up over your friends graduating before you honestly, theres no age for education :biggrin: also think of your return to uni as your success story, this time you will smash it, i know you will as youre showing concern, id suggest use all the facilities and tools you have available at uni, you dont understand something? You go chase answers from lecturers, make notes stay on top of your work, ask as many questions as you need, you honestly got this in the bag i believe in you
I'm starting uni at 22 as well. It'll take time to get rid of that mind set but you can't get that 'wasted' time back. Just learn from any mistakes you made and just keep moving forward.
I started at 23. Just think of it as a completely new start and make use of all the resources available to you.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll be starting uni again at 22 after failing first year when I was 18 as I wasn't prepared for uni workload and life. I feel like a failure as all my friends will be graduating and feel like I wasted a lot of time. How can I ensure everything goes smoothly again.

Imo, this is going to be really good for your character development. Not everything in life goes how we think it should in our heads. In fact, we all feel like a failure in something.

Well done for making the first step in learning from your mistakes. :smile:

What course are you doing, is it similar to last time? One thing I would recommend is to reflect back to your 1st year (I know it's hard but hopefully you have closure now) and perhaps write it down somewhere. Think about your schedule and routine. What were the key challenges in your way? Have you faced similar challenges since then, if so how did you deal with them?

I am sure you have matured a lot over the past few years so just be positive and you'll be fine!
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey anon I'm on my 2nd year but will doing my third year this September. I'm 23 years old and in university age is just a number. A friendly tip would be that even though your friends has finished their university. I would not compare with them as you would go on your ordinary speed till you finish university. Motivate and focus... you will finish like your friends as well : )
Reply 6
Comparison is the thief of joy. Focus on your own journey and enjoy it! Good luck

Hi!

Don't worry. I'm on the same page as you. I'm an international student. I would've finished my bachelor's last year and would've started my professional life this year and nothing happened according to plan. And the reason behind this is not academic at all. But still, I'm thriving to encounter the new experience in my life. Perhaps, this is the last time I'm trying.

Have a positive mindset and you'll do great. Don't be bothered about how others have progressed. Think about yourself and what you can do. If you can play your part, you'll surely succeed.

Hey there!
The thing to remember is that there will be people of all different ages at university. Sometimes you don't even notice that people are older or younger. The fact that you've already done it once only gives you an advantage as you have some sense of what to expect. My advice is to always use planning to your advantage, even if it's just a few days ahead. Planning can be applied to budgeting, writing essays, working out what you're doing in the week and even managing your workload. If you buy things like notebooks and diaries that look pretty to you, you'll be more likely to use it to help you.

It's important not to think of yourself as a failure and to think of it in the sense that you're very self aware and strong for removing yourself from a situation that wasn't helping you. Try not to compare yourself to other people as everyone works at different rates and your friends may even wish they were back at university and you're going out and doing it. Focus on yourself and utilising everything you can to help you get through it. Try and keep up with all extra reading and follow up with anything you don't understand in seminars. Sometimes lecturers are very willing to help you go through something in their spare time if you just ask.

Hope this helped and I'm sure it'll go great for you.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi!

It's totally understandable that you feel that way, but I want to assure you that you are not a failure. Everyone has their own path to walk and comparing yourself to someone else's progress is only going to harm you.

In terms of advice for when you start up again, I would definitely suggest you establish a relationship with the academic advisors and the university's wellbeing team. The academic advisors can give you super useful advice regarding essay structure, how to revise efficiently etc., and the wellbeing team can offer you regular sessions to check in you to make sure you're coping well.

Best of luck to you! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

You are definitely not a failure! There are lots of people that start uni later for a number of different reasons including gap years, not being successful in getting accepted to the course they want, family circumstances etc. You will definitely not be alone on the course as someone who has not started straight away.
I think try not to focus too much on what your friends are doing, as long as you are enjoying yourself and you are doing something you like it will go smoothly.

I really hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
hiii there, you are not a failure. you weren't ready for uni at 18 and that is okay. you shouldn't have to go under that much stress and pressure if you aren't ready and 22 is not old at all. do not worry about your friends, they will graduate but so will you. everyone completes things at different times, it isn't a race and you should take your time. it doesn't matter that you're 22 because you're now more prepared and this means you will be less stressed, meaning you will get better grades or marks and you will be more satisfied. please do not compare yourself. you're doing well for going back and you should be proud of yourself as it isn't easy.

i'm 18 (supposed to be in first year in uni) and i wasn't ready for a levels at 16 as i wasn't mentally prepared so now i have saved my motivation and now i know what career path i want to take as i haven't rushed. i will be 20 going into university and i am not embarrassed. you shouldn't feel embarrassed. you are young and you will be young when you graduate. there will be people your age on your course possibly and i wish you all the best <3
Agree age is just a number. I'll be 28 when I start uni this Sept. You'll be better prepared this time round. I'm sure you've learned a lot more than you realise so focus on what you do know rather than what you think you dont. Just keep going, it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck

I started at 24! Introduce yourself, ask people their course etc and you’ll be fine. Most people don’t even realise I’m older and the ones that do aren’t judgemental about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending