The Student Room Group

UoN or Durham?

Hi, I’m in the middle of deciding which university to put as my firm and which to put as my insurance. I received an offer for psychological and behavioral sciences at Durham university and an offer to study sociology at the University of Nottingham ( ideally it would’ve been psychology and cognitive neuroscience but I couldn’t get into the course so they offered me socio instead). I love UoN’s campus, the accommodation, and the city but I love Durham’s course. Anyone have any advice on which to choose? Or if anyone knows if you’re able to swap courses when you’re at a university? Thanks in advance (:
Edit- I firmed Durham!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Purpllegrape9
Hi, I’m in the middle of deciding which university to put as my firm and which to put as my insurance. I received an offer for psychological and behavioral sciences at Durham university and an offer to study sociology at the University of Nottingham ( ideally it would’ve been psychology and cognitive neuroscience but I couldn’t get into the course so they offered me socio instead). I love UoN’s campus, the accommodation, and the city but I love Durham’s course. Anyone have any advice on which to choose? Or if anyone knows if you’re able to swap courses when you’re at a university? Thanks in advance (:

Have you had any thoughts as to what you might want to do after uni? Does one or the other course help you more towards that goal?

Generally speaking, I'd take the course I preferred over the campus/accommodation I preferred.

It's the course we go to university for. If we were just looking for someone nice to live for a few years, the application process would certainly be easier!
Original post by Purpllegrape9

I would pick Duhram in your circumstances. They’ve given you a better course for what you wanted, and they’re a very good university. Nottingham is also really good but it’s a bit of a deal breaker when they’ve offered you Sociology instead.

Trust me, when it comes down to it, the course itself is much more important than the facilities of the uni. That’s what will stay with you for the rest of your life- the qualification. University is difficult, getting a degree is not easy and it isn’t meant to be. Enjoying the course and what you’re studying is what would get you through
Original post by DataVenia
Have you had any thoughts as to what you might want to do after uni? Does one or the other course help you more towards that goal?

Generally speaking, I'd take the course I preferred over the campus/accommodation I preferred.

It's the course we go to university for. If we were just looking for someone nice to live for a few years, the application process would certainly be easier!

I definitely want to do something with psychology in the future, what’s worrying me the most is the social aspect of Durham haha
Original post by blitterflicker
I would pick Duhram in your circumstances. They’ve given you a better course for what you wanted, and they’re a very good university. Nottingham is also really good but it’s a bit of a deal breaker when they’ve offered you Sociology instead.

Trust me, when it comes down to it, the course itself is much more important than the facilities of the uni. That’s what will stay with you for the rest of your life- the qualification. University is difficult, getting a degree is not easy and it isn’t meant to be. Enjoying the course and what you’re studying is what would get you through

That’s a fair point, I think I’m going to try and find out about if swapping courses is a possibility
(edited 1 year ago)
Course you want at a league topping uni (Durham). That would be a no brainer for me.
Which SUBJECT do you want to study for the next 3 years - the 'look' of the Uni will be meaningless if you dont actually enjoy what you are studying every day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending