The Student Room Group

University transfer to 2nd year; sharing core modules

I want to transfer to second year on a course to a different University. Electrical Engineering to UoN from UoD. I have the required A level grades, but my course modules are not exactly the same as UoNs, which would make sense as most Universities have different modules. However, most of my modules are the same, with of course learning a few minor things differently, but we don't share any content for a core module. Would this be a problem? How would credit transfer work? I have emailed the university already but just wanted to know beforehand.
who is UON or UOD. State the proper names instead of abbreviations. As far as transfers are concerned the university usually requires the entry requirements to be met, a set grade in year 1 and the modules to be close. Only UOD whoever that is can tell whether they will accept you. You need to ask them.
Reply 2
It's likely too late for this year. If you want to transfer to another university, you should check their website to see if they clearly say they do not accept any transfer student. If not, you can email the faculty admission officer or undergrade coordinator (preferrably an academic staff in the faculty rather than general admission) to ask, giving your basic background information and indicating the year and course you wish to transfer into. They might tell you if the course is full or you're welcome to submit application via UCAS or their own system, in that case you are almost there.
Reply 3
Original post by FrancoisA
It's likely too late for this year. If you want to transfer to another university, you should check their website to see if they clearly say they do not accept any transfer student. If not, you can email the faculty admission officer or undergrade coordinator (preferrably an academic staff in the faculty rather than general admission) to ask, giving your basic background information and indicating the year and course you wish to transfer into. They might tell you if the course is full or you're welcome to submit application via UCAS or their own system, in that case you are almost there.

I forgot to mention, I'm currently first year at Uni of Derby and want to transfer to Uni of Nottinghams second year of the course. I'll try emailing academic staff, thank you.
Original post by Moveen
I forgot to mention, I'm currently first year at Uni of Derby and want to transfer to Uni of Nottinghams second year of the course. I'll try emailing academic staff, thank you.

You'd be be better off emailing the admissions team as they'll be more familiar with the process and requirements.
Original post by FrancoisA

It’s not too late to apply to change university in the autumn.

and academic staff often don’t understand the RPEL/APEL process.

OP - have a look at the learning outcomes for the modules for each university. Also check the year 2 modules at the new university for any pre-requisites - having a close match of modules/learning outcomes for modules that are prerequisites for yr 2 modules will be key to your application being successful.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
It’s not too late to apply to change university in the autumn.

and academic staff often don’t understand the RPEL/APEL process.

OP - have a look at the learning outcomes for the modules for each university. Also check the year 2 modules at the new university for any pre-requisites - having a close match of modules/learning outcomes for modules that are prerequisites for yr 2 modules will be key to your application being successful.

I've checked the prerequisites and they do match up except for one core module which is continued on to the next year for the new university which my current course doesn't do, would you figure this would be a problem? It is one module that doesn't develop any skills but rather just researching into contemporary themes
Original post by Moveen
I've checked the prerequisites and they do match up except for one core module which is continued on to the next year for the new university which my current course doesn't do, would you figure this would be a problem? It is one module that doesn't develop any skills but rather just researching into contemporary themes

Look at the learning outcomes of the pre-requisite module and see how close you are based on the learning outcomes of your current modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending