The Student Room Group

University of Oxford

Hi, I am looking to apply for Oxford medical school however I am looking for advice.
My grades for GCSEs are 8877777665, this is due to a number of things, including mental health issues, issues during years 10 and 11, do you think considering my circumstances Oxford would consider me at least?
Oxford don't score GCSEs anymore for medicine so it's a non-factor. They might have minimum requirements for maths and English language though - check to make sure you meet those (if not plan to retake as needed).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford don't score GCSEs anymore for medicine so it's a non-factor. They might have minimum requirements for maths and English language though - check to make sure you meet those (if not plan to retake as needed).

Hey thanks for replying.
I’ve exceeded the minimum requirement for English Lang and Maths, but if you look at the statistics for the 2020 cohort, no person fewer than 4 passes at an 8 or above was offered a place. Doesnt that affect my chances. To be fair, they haven’t done the 2021 cohort or the 2022 one.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thanks for replying.
I’ve exceeded the minimum requirement for English Lang and Maths, but if you look at the statistics for the 2020 cohort, no person fewer than 4 passes at an 8 or above was offered a place. Doesnt that affect my chances. To be fair, they haven’t done the 2021 cohort or the 2022 one.

That's because at that time Oxford did score GCSEs and was in fact one of the most GCSE heavy medical schools in the country. However they stopped scoring them after that due to COVID and related issues and have indicated they will not go back to scoring them for the forseeable future.
That's because at that time Oxford did score GCSEs and was in fact one of the most GCSE heavy medical schools in the country. However they stopped scoring them after that due to COVID and related issues and have indicated they will not go back to scoring them for the forseeable future.

I know you are a trusted member in this community, but I have to ask this for future reference.

Do you have a source/evidence for that? I think it might put some minds at rest if they saw Oxford explicitly stating that they no longer consider GCSEs, despite once doing so a few years ago.
Can i get away with 98888777776 with A* A* A at A level
For those unable or unwilling to use google or similar search engines:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Under section: "How shortlisting works & relevant 2022 statistics", literally the second and third paragraphs:

"Before 2021, the first stage of our shortlisting process had used a combination of contextualised GCSE performance (for those candidates with GCSE grades) and BMAT score. As in 2021, we used a contextualised measure of BMAT performance in the first stage of our shortlisting process in the 2022 admissions round. Contextual data (read more about the University's use of contextual data) were used to assess whether an applicant’s BMAT score likely reflected an under- or over-performance within the context of the candidate’s socio-economic and school environment.

In 2021, this decision was taken (following advice from the University Admissions and Outreach team) in the best interests of widening participation given the absence of a metric which would allow us to compare GCSE performance between schools fairly. Our modelling of shortlisting on the basis of contextualised BMAT had suggested the constitution of our shortlist would not be altered to any systematic disadvantage of already disadvantaged groups compared to ordinary years, and this proved to be the case in both 2021 and 2022. BMAT is the only element of an application that is common to all applicants for Medicine and giving as it does a snapshot of ability and aptitude, it is an important selection tool when assessing a large number of extremely well qualified applicants."
For those unable or unwilling to use google or similar search engines:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Under section: "How shortlisting works & relevant 2022 statistics", literally the second and third paragraphs:

"Before 2021, the first stage of our shortlisting process had used a combination of contextualised GCSE performance (for those candidates with GCSE grades) and BMAT score. As in 2021, we used a contextualised measure of BMAT performance in the first stage of our shortlisting process in the 2022 admissions round. Contextual data (read more about the University's use of contextual data) were used to assess whether an applicant’s BMAT score likely reflected an under- or over-performance within the context of the candidate’s socio-economic and school environment.

In 2021, this decision was taken (following advice from the University Admissions and Outreach team) in the best interests of widening participation given the absence of a metric which would allow us to compare GCSE performance between schools fairly. Our modelling of shortlisting on the basis of contextualised BMAT had suggested the constitution of our shortlist would not be altered to any systematic disadvantage of already disadvantaged groups compared to ordinary years, and this proved to be the case in both 2021 and 2022. BMAT is the only element of an application that is common to all applicants for Medicine and giving as it does a snapshot of ability and aptitude, it is an important selection tool when assessing a large number of extremely well qualified applicants."

Yeah but my cohort was given and advanced information, and not to mention things are getting back to normal now so what’s stopping them to backtrack on their decision. They just said that for 2021 and 2022 they didn’t use GCSEs as much, for 2023 we don’t know what they did and for 2024 they could easily go back to using GCSES and BMAT. Although I do appreciate everyone’s help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending