The Student Room Group

What are the biggest lie(s) universities sell?

I have been thinking.
:tongue:
That the world owes you a living simply because you have (or will have) a degree.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
That the world owes you a living simply because you have (or will have) a degree.

Do you think that Universities are that Narcissistic? I did not ever get the feeling that I would be "entitled" to anything when I was doing my media degree in 1994 at Sheffield and john Moores Liverpool. I felt that the University ethic was very inclusive and promoted working as a team. I got a good general feeling of encouragement in general. Tutorials were good where you could bring forward any concerns you may or may not have. I think to paint all Universities as "the world owes you a living with a degree" is rubbish. You have to work very hard to find a job after your degree. It's a competitive world out there.
Original post by baycrusher
Do you think that Universities are that Narcissistic? I did not ever get the feeling that I would be "entitled" to anything when I was doing my media degree in 1994 at Sheffield and john Moores Liverpool. I felt that the University ethic was very inclusive and promoted working as a team. I got a good general feeling of encouragement in general. Tutorials were good where you could bring forward any concerns you may or may not have. I think to paint all Universities as "the world owes you a living with a degree" is rubbish. You have to work very hard to find a job after your degree. It's a competitive world out there.

I haven't attended all unversities, obviously. I can only go on the attitudes of graduates I've known or heard about over the years. Many people, at least they used to (not sure about now) leave university convinced that they are going to find a high paying job immediately. They would turn their noses up at any job wanting them to start at a lower paid entry level, and refuse to consider a job that wasn't immediately in their ideal position of choice. There was very much a sense of entitlement based on having a degree.
Admittedly I've heard less about this kind of attitude recently, but certainly a few years back this was a big thing with graduates. One can only conclude that this attitude must've been fuelled by universities.
I haven't attended all unversities, obviously. I can only go on the attitudes of graduates I've known or heard about over the years. Many people, at least they used to (not sure about now) leave university convinced that they are going to find a high paying job immediately. They would turn their noses up at any job wanting them to start at a lower paid entry level, and refuse to consider a job that wasn't immediately in their ideal position of choice. There was very much a sense of entitlement based on having a degree.
Admittedly I've heard less about this kind of attitude recently, but certainly a few years back this was a big thing with graduates. One can only conclude that this attitude must've been fuelled by universities.

So its more about people feeling entitled? I guess some do and some don't depending on their particular objectives and their feelings of where a University places them at the end of their training. I guess with the student loan being so high they at least expect a salary that can mitigate it. I know a few people taking specific subjects at University and then using those skills to traverse completely different employment. The university degree shows the ability to at least stick at something 'plus it has the benefit of many transferable skills within it.
I did not sit on the beach playing the guitar with my diverse set of friends
Reply 7
Original post by yeet_21

I laughed put loud at this hahaha

My experience is that this is usually (not always, I saw a bit of this at Oxford) course-dependent rather than broadly institutional
Original post by yeet_21

Sounds good!
Reply 9
Original post by yeet_21

Where did you find that ad?
Original post by Other_Owl
Where did you find that ad?

on the website of every uk university :lol:

for me, the biggest lie is probably that it's a huge community and they'll care about you. there are so many people, it does feel like you're in your own world a lot of the time.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest