The Student Room Group

MPhil in Ethics of AI, Data and Algorithms

any one have applied for the new Cambridge Mphil programme?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I applied in late march, close to the deadline, no updates yet. You?
Reply 2
Same, applied in the last week before the deadline (was waiting on references) no updates here either!
Reply 3
I think they take 12 weeks on average to answer, meaning we still have a long way to go... Thoughts?
Reply 4
I also applied about a week before the end of March but no response yet. Got this when wrote to the admission office: If your application is already under consideration by the Department or Degree Committee, and has been at this status for longer than two months, please consult the departmental webpages or contact the Department directly for further information on when a decision will be made.
Reply 5
Original post by Max45621
I also applied about a week before the end of March but no response yet. Got this when wrote to the admission office: If your application is already under consideration by the Department or Degree Committee, and has been at this status for longer than two months, please consult the departmental webpages or contact the Department directly for further information on when a decision will be made.

Yeah so I suppose we have to wait. Do you believe given the application was on a rolling process, that we are in a big disadvantage since we only applied towards the end? Cheers.
Reply 6
Original post by FrancisMG
Yeah so I suppose we have to wait. Do you believe given the application was on a rolling process, that we are in a big disadvantage since we only applied towards the end? Cheers.

I would say so, especially compared to the people who applied early on. It would be nice if this course did a gathered fields approach to applications, but it is what it is.

From the course page:

Normally the latest date for decisions to be communicated is the end of June.

So we still have quite a while to go it seems :/ but please do update if anything changes for any of you!
Reply 7
FWIW, looks like at least 96 applications received for an expected cohort size of 20-22

see: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/places_on_mphil_ethics_of_ai_dat
Reply 8
I have also applied for this course. Does anyone know if I can make up the transcript and other materials from my senior year, such as language scores
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I have also applied for this course. Does anyone know if I can make up the transcript and other materials from my senior year, such as language scores

What do you mean by "make up"? You're unable to make any edits to the application material you have submitted by the deadline provided (end of March 2023).
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
If you mean language scores such as IELTS, I believe they will ask them from you in case they make an offer
Original post by dodgyb
FWIW, looks like at least 96 applications received for an expected cohort size of 20-22

see: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/places_on_mphil_ethics_of_ai_dat

This was very helpful to know, cheers!
Reply 12
I also saw that "brokensponge" from the main Cambridge Postgrad applications thread was offered a place (post #5858 here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98226377&postcount=5858) - so that means there's at least 19-21 spots left :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by dodgyb
I also saw that "brokensponge" from the main Cambridge Postgrad applications thread was offered a place (post #5858 here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98226377&postcount=5858) - so that means there's at least 19-21 spots left :smile:

i think that they will give out offers more than actual class size number, cuz someone might reject the offer, they have to make sure the class size. Base on the previous admission statistic, it will be 40% higher offer made than the actual class size, which means 19-21/34-36.
Reply 14
Original post by Griffith81000
i think that they will give out offers more than actual class size number, cuz someone might reject the offer, they have to make sure the class size. Base on the previous admission statistic, it will be 40% higher offer made than the actual class size, which means 19-21/34-36.

ahh makes sense... Not bad news!
Reply 15
Original post by Griffith81000

Yes, however they would most likely release these in tranches - ie. release the initial 19-21 and then see who rejects any of these and send more offers after that time. They wouldn't want to get themselves into a situation where they they've enrolled more than they can support (think: thesis supervisors and teaching staff, physical size of teaching rooms that need to be allocated) especially being the initial year of offering for the course and the startup bugs that that entails. :smile:

I suspect there is a little bit of a processing delay at present given the desirable AI conference they've just organised, staff changes, not to mention the beginning of term and the MSt applications that also need to be processed. It's all happening!
I got an email from the department a few weeks ago saying that they aim to make decisions by Mid-May. Let's hope for the best!
Just heard back! Under review by degree committee
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Just heard back! Under review by degree committee

That's great news! Did you receive an email notification or saw the change in the application portal?
Chang(Original post by dodgyb)That's great news! Did you receive an email notification or saw the change in the application portal?

Change in portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending