The Student Room Group

Extra year of SFE?

I am in year 2 of my 3 year course but will not pass the year. I am in the process of signing up for a 3 year course of another uni but I am worried about sfe. I know they offer a grace year so I would be covered for two years of this new course but I want to apply for another extra year due to my circumstances. I got pregnant last summer and was very sick so I was not able to attend uni physically, my uni is 1.5hours away as well. I contacted my uni about this, they said I would either have to come in or take a year off with no financial help. With a baby on the way, living with my partner who is also a student, that wasn’t an option. (I cannot go home to my parents as I have no ‘childhood home’) So, I stayed at uni even though I couldn’t go in to take my tests which means I have failed the year. I cannot repeat the year as that would require me to come in but I am the sole full time carer of my 2 month old. This is why I want to switch uni to an online course, which would still leave me entitled to the full student finance. Is it possible to ask for an extra year due to my circumstances?

Also, I am annoyed that my uni didn’t offer any help or advice whereas my partner’ uni offered him to do his course entirely online this year just to take care of me… I feel like I was mistreated, especially because the person I spoke to on email about my circumstances was a male lecturer and he did not understand. Also, do not reply blaming me for getting pregnant at uni, it was a joint effort with my partner so why is it fair that I’m the only one affected financially just because I am a woman :/
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am in year 2 of my 3 year course but will not pass the year. I am in the process of signing up for a 3 year course of another uni but I am worried about sfe. I know they offer a grace year so I would be covered for two years of this new course but I want to apply for another extra year due to my circumstances. I got pregnant last summer and was very sick so I was not able to attend uni physically, my uni is 1.5hours away as well. I contacted my uni about this, they said I would either have to come in or take a year off with no financial help. With a baby on the way, living with my partner who is also a student, that wasn’t an option. (I cannot go home to my parents as I have no ‘childhood home’) So, I stayed at uni even though I couldn’t go in to take my tests which means I have failed the year. I cannot repeat the year as that would require me to come in but I am the sole full time carer of my 2 month old. This is why I want to switch uni to an online course, which would still leave me entitled to the full student finance. Is it possible to ask for an extra year due to my circumstances?

Also, I am annoyed that my uni didn’t offer any help or advice whereas my partner’ uni offered him to do his course entirely online this year just to take care of me… I feel like I was mistreated, especially because the person I spoke to on email about my circumstances was a male lecturer and he did not understand. Also, do not reply blaming me for getting pregnant at uni, it was a joint effort with my partner so why is it fair that I’m the only one affected financially just because I am a woman :/

I’m not going to blame anyone, but the question that is of importance is « if the pregnancy was planned, why on earth did you not investigate how your studies would be affected before taking the leap? » Not all unis have the facilities and the ability to do a full time degree online. That’s where open university comes into play. If you found your pregnancy so difficult to handle, why didn’t you ask to interrupt your studies? This should still be a possibility. SFE and your original choice of uni cannot be held responsible for choices you have made!! Yes they should try and adapt in the realms of what is possible, but they can’t move closer to your home. You on the other hand could try to move closer to them.
All else being equal I would ask SFE to consider financing an extra year due to mitigating circumstances. But at the end of the day it is you that has chosen to prioritise a family over your studies. Would it have hurt to delay such a project just one year?
Wishing you the best of luck, but please don’t start attacking the uni on the basis of being sexist, it’s too easy!! (I’m female by the way) . People tend to be a lot more helpful when you are honest and take responsibility for your actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending