The Student Room Group

Previous study section on student finance application

Hello,
I am transferring to a new university and starting from year one, however I made a mistake on the application and it was for a continuing student. So I cancelled that application and am starting a new one.

While doing the application I got to a section where is asks about previous study, I was on the phone to student finance and happened to ask if I had to put the half year I studied at the first uni, they said I didn't but the online application clearly states to include information about amy previous course I studied, so I'm confused.

Do I put down the details of the 7 months I studied at the old university in 2022-2023 or not? Student finance are giving me conflicting information

Thank you-
L3
Original post by Level-3
Hello,
I am transferring to a new university and starting from year one, however I made a mistake on the application and it was for a continuing student. So I cancelled that application and am starting a new one.

While doing the application I got to a section where is asks about previous study, I was on the phone to student finance and happened to ask if I had to put the half year I studied at the first uni, they said I didn't but the online application clearly states to include information about amy previous course I studied, so I'm confused.

Do I put down the details of the 7 months I studied at the old university in 2022-2023 or not? Student finance are giving me conflicting information

Thank you-
L3

Hi there, have you withdrawn from your previous course?

You would indicate all previous study on your new application regardless of how long this is for. Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen

You would indicate all previous study on your new application regardless of how long this is for. Thanks, Karen

Yes I withdrew from the course, but again, the person I spoke to at SFE said I didn't need to put that down.

Also, when I list this are SFE going to know that I'm entitled to the full course? Its extremely frustrating as I've had SFE staff tell me many different and conflicting things and have no indication that this course will be treated separately to the one I originally studied, I know I get one extra year, but no where on the form does it indicate that this information is recieved and that my course will be fully funded, I dont want to get to my placement year, try and continue and be told there's a mistake on my application or that I already studied when I am entitled to the extra years study. So if I put down that I studied for that half a year on the previous study section, then send it off, this automated system is not going to say "you have previous study so your not entitled to etc etc", when I am entitled to the full length of my course?
Original post by Level-3
Also, when I list this are SFE going to know that I'm entitled to the full course? Its extremely frustrating as I've had SFE staff tell me many different and conflicting things and have no indication that this course will be treated separately to the one I originally studied, I know I get one extra year, but no where on the form does it indicate that this information is recieved and that my course will be fully funded, I dont want to get to my placement year, try and continue and be told there's a mistake on my application or that I already studied when I am entitled to the extra years study. So if I put down that I studied for that half a year on the previous study section, then send it off, this automated system is not going to say "you have previous study so your not entitled to etc etc", when I am entitled to the full length of my course?

The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

When the team receive your application and review the previous study section and your previous applications they will review the funding you are entitled to receive. You must include the previous study in your application although you have previous applications as the team require this information to assess your application. if this is missed from the form the team will request clarification which may delay your application. I would advise to submit this as soon as possible with your previous study details on it for the team to review.

Thanks, Karen
The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

When the team receive your application and review the previous study section and your previous applications they will review the funding you are entitled to receive. You must include the previous study in your application although you have previous applications as the team require this information to assess your application. if this is missed from the form the team will request clarification which may delay your application. I would advise to submit this as soon as possible with your previous study details on it for the team to review.

Thanks, Karen

I am aware, I studied for about half the year in my first university, I then withdrew from the university, I have a place in the new university, and am applying for funding for 4 years at that new university, 1 year of study + the length of the course - years of previously study. That means I am eligible for full funding at my new course in my new university.

So why was I told by a member of SFE staff I didn't need to list this?

*by this I mean listing my half year in the old university
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Level-3
I am aware, I studied for about half the year in my first university, I then withdrew from the university, I have a place in the new university, and am applying for funding for 4 years at that new university, 1 year of study + the length of the course - years of previously study. That means I am eligible for full funding at my new course in my new university.

So why was I told by a member of SFE staff I didn't need to list this?

*by this I mean listing my half year in the old university

I am unable to advise why this was advised previously. All I can do is assist you the information to complete your application. Once your application has been received and processed the team will confirm the funding you are entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending