The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student finance and Universal credit

Hi,
I am 53, married with two children at home, a carer for my husband and am contemplating starting a part time degree with the open university. We are currently in receipt of Universal credit. If I choose to take out a student loan for tuition fees, would this affect the universal credit? Should I take out a maintenance loan or would I be worse off?
Original post by tjs4mcs21
Hi,
I am 53, married with two children at home, a carer for my husband and am contemplating starting a part time degree with the open university. We are currently in receipt of Universal credit. If I choose to take out a student loan for tuition fees, would this affect the universal credit? Should I take out a maintenance loan or would I be worse off?

As far as I'm aware, the rules for the maintenance loan haven't changed. You can only get one if you cannot attend a regular university due to disability. They make it very difficult to qualify and it has to be your own disability. Being a carer does not count as far as the maintenance loan is concerned.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Veet Voojagig
As far as I'm aware, the rules for the maintenance loan haven't changed. You can only get one if you cannot attend a regular university due to disability. They make it very difficult to qualify and it has to be your own disability. Being a carer does not count as far as the maintenance loan is concerned.

Oh ok, I was unaware of that. Thankyou☺️

Quick Reply

Latest